Author Topic: Corona AO Geometry issue  (Read 4014 times)

2016-03-16, 09:41:36

CASA_MT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have been working with Corona for a while now and usually I was able to solve most of the problems by searching the forum or trying things myself, but now I have an issue I do not understand.

I want to use CoronaAO to combine two materials. I used "Invert normals", to get some kind of used edges-look. As soon as I touch the Color spread option to get a more defined look, the AO starts appearing on literally every edge of the mesh. It also stays that way when using a texture in the Max distance slot. The geometry is low-poly with a Turbosmooth. I attached a clean test-scene render and even there it is visible. What am I missing? Is it normal that Color spread causes this effect or is there any way to get rid of it?

2016-03-16, 12:14:02
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think currently this is by design. It would probably require some kind of "bias" to get rid of this effect...
« Last Edit: 2016-03-16, 12:57:27 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-03-16, 12:27:29
Reply #2

CASA_MT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's what I thougt too and when I did not find any "bias" option, I made this post.
A way to get this working might be an addtional mask by vertex painting, but I would have found it more convinient to just let AO do its thing.

2016-03-16, 12:37:53
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
No need for bias, just increase directionality parameter so that AO rays are more pointy and less spread towards the grazing angles. That will get rid of it. It works same way in pretty much any other renderer that has AO map too.

2016-03-16, 12:51:39
Reply #4

CASA_MT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Aw man, I do feel stupid now. Of course it is Ray directionality, somehow I overlooked it. As soon as I enter something larger than 0,2 it works as it should. Thank you!