Author Topic: Very slow material editor with 1.4  (Read 9588 times)

2016-05-21, 11:31:36

nicolazaro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
After few days from the first installation of Corona 1.4 I suddenly noticed a great performance decrease when rendering the material previews using the slate material editor, but even with compact editor. It's incredible... sometimes it seems to work and after few minutes no more.
I have a FairSaas license... is that possible due to lags of internet connection???

I noticed an other strange thing... at the day of installation of 1.4 the default image filter was "Parabolic" and now it opens by dafault with "Tent".

I can't really understand...

2016-05-23, 15:39:55
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are you getting freezes within the material editor? Is it freezing for a few seconds/minutes? If so, you could try the following solution:

Uninstall Corona using the uninstaller which is bundled with Corona (you can select it on the page of the installer where you select various items).

Then:

Go to your 3ds Max installation directory

Make sure there is nothing (file or folder) with the name "Corona" inside. You can use Windows search function for this (Ctrl+F). If there is anything - remove it.

Go to C:\Users_username_\AppData\Local\ and remove CoronaRenderer folder

Go to C:\Users_username_\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2016 - 64bit\ENU (or any other version of 3ds Max or language) and remove anything which has "Corona" in its name
Install Corona 1.4 again

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-05-23, 23:08:34
Reply #2

dcgamboa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have the same problem. Even changing the color of the material takes several seconds and freezes max.
I did the procedure you describe, but is always the same.

2016-05-24, 00:58:42
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I wonder if this isn't the issue that was once persistent on quite random occasion some long time ago. I'll dig in my memory to see what all I tried, because I did eventually get rid of it (after a lot of desperation).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-05-25, 16:51:44
Reply #4

dcgamboa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My Solution: I just had to install eeevvvery single windows update available, may be it was something related to DotNet version, or C++ version. But finally it worked!
Thanks!

2016-05-26, 23:38:14
Reply #5

ankoron

• Users
    • View Profile
I'm having the same problem, the material editor is really slow, mainly the first time I open it.
Maru's suggestion didn't work for me either. I love version 1.4, so I hope there is a solution...Corona 1.3 doesn't have this problem.

Update: I uninstalled and reinstalled EVERY visual C++ package in my system and now the problem is solved.
Spoke too soon...
« Last Edit: 2016-05-27, 09:00:15 by ankoron »

2016-05-27, 12:26:23
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
To all having problems with 1.4 and material editor:

It may seem strange, but some problems (especially crashes) are related to licensing. I would suggest removing all files from
C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Local\CoronaRenderer
...and then re-activating the license.

Other problems may appear if some other type of materials is set as defaut in meditor (e.g. vray materials).

Here is how to remove the Vray/other settings and set all material editor slots to Corona materials:

1. in 3ds Max go to Customize > Custom UI and Defaults Switcher, then select "Max" on the left list, and "DefaultUI" on the right list. Press "Set" and restart your 3ds Max.

2. To set all material slots to Corona see: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000571040
(see point 2)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-05-27, 13:47:05
Reply #7

ankoron

• Users
    • View Profile
Maru, thanks! I'll try your suggestions asap!!

I'd like to add that after installing "Convenience Rollup" for Windows 7 SP1 which acts
as a SP2 and all the windows updates, material editor's speed has definitely improved.

2016-07-03, 13:10:38
Reply #8

Albert3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Delete everything that is related to VRAY

Uninstall all vray and delete all vray files, folders....

now material editor works fine!!

2016-07-03, 16:31:28
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
That's hardly a solution, because, you know, there are people who needs both, Vray and Corona. Maybe your Vray installation had problems, what if you try to reinstall it and update to latest version? Would that solve slow material editor problem?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-07-04, 11:56:27
Reply #10

Albert3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes you're right, also "material converter" not runs if we delete vray.

So I did this steps:

https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000011862-material-editor-is-very-slow-freezing-in-corona-1-4

and reinstaled vray and now works fine.

2016-07-11, 17:20:03
Reply #11

nicolazaro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys! Thank you for the suggestions...

It's a problem related to Windows Update, which is blocking the machine.

I solved this way:

Download Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3161664):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=52794

But before installing it type in Windows command prompt as admin:

net stop wuauserv

and then:

net stop bits

Install the Security update;
Restart Windows;
Go to Windows Update... and now all the updates appear in 5 min;
Install all the updates;
Restart Windows;

and that's it.

I solved without uninstall and reinstall Corona 1.4.

I hope that this can be useful as it has been for me.

« Last Edit: 2016-07-11, 18:17:42 by nicolazaro »

2016-08-20, 02:37:38
Reply #12

akkoxe

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tested it lag.
So. Results.
I started 3ds max. Open mateditor. ME rendered 3-5 slots. Then lag. After few minutes rendered other slots and continue. If i try swap some slot on new material(from library, coronamtl) its slot lagged again. But not longer. Few seconds.
So. What i do. At first i open task manager. When I open ME at first, my CPU loaded by 100%. Then, when all slots in ME rendered, CPU loaded normal (10-15%). When i added new material. CPU again 100%.
I cheked process. And what i see there? I see 3ds max and svhost loaded CPU. What? svhost? Rly? Why? I kill it task! And... all was well. Any lags on ME. Fast added new material. Fast slots rendering.
I try do it again. I close max. Then started in again. Max atarted. And svhost started again. I open ME. Lagged again. I close max. Start again. And at first kill svhost task. Then open ME. All OK. Any lags. So. Its svhost. If you kill it task, lags in ME go away. But only for next max starting.

I make a short video. Look please. (bdcam.exe in tasks - its bandicam, videomaker)
1. First started ME lag. https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzixgnm0wkypfna/first%20ME%20start%28after%203ds%20max%20starting%29.avi?dl=0
2. ME lags demontration.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/cq8mpszx8jssogq/ME%20lags%28after%203ds%20max%20restarting%29.avi?dl=0

p.s. Sorry for my english. My english is bad. =(

upd. Its svhost is responsible for some graphic effects of the windows(like download bar, folders menu, ets)

« Last Edit: 2016-08-20, 06:04:17 by akkoxe »

2016-08-24, 18:21:58
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
This seems to be solved with the latest daily build (08-23), give it a try!
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)