Author Topic: Why is Redshift so popular?  (Read 23497 times)

2017-12-11, 23:21:22
Reply #45

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i see... it's mainly because of maya :p

Agree!
I came to that conclusion too.

2017-12-12, 08:08:44
Reply #46

nkilar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@Juraj

Nah, not arguing just for the sake of arguing man... Debating :) Its a solution I know that a few really good artists use and is something I am considering for myself too. I have other reasons why I think a full water solution wouldn't work for me personally - but thats a different story. Like I said tho, performance wise its the preferred solution but so is a 2x2699 build. Not everybody has one obviously.

I think its especially fitting for those that go the middle route, something like a hybrid 1070 x 4 and are mindful of their budgets.
« Last Edit: 2017-12-12, 09:08:59 by nkilar »

2017-12-12, 16:24:57
Reply #47

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Juraj, Nkilar,
May I ask you a stupid question?
With all the bitcoin mania going on, aren't there self contained GPUs that can be plunged in externally to a workstation? That way you wouldn't have a overheating problem due to lack of space...

2017-12-13, 09:29:36
Reply #48

nkilar

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@lupaz

Welcome to the party!

I didn't see self-contained GPUs except for those Thunderbolt boxes that are mainly for Macs / laptops. I presume you mean those?

Those are all fun and great but the box alone costs 400$ or at least I did a year ago so for me its a little too expensive :) I think its a life safer for all those people running Octane in C4D and are using Macs or laptops.

Without water cooling I prefer the open workbench for performance. Its basically a computer on a desk without the case. Gotta get rid of your cats, dogs and possibly children I suppose, don't want no short circuitry :P I'm not using that though because I like cats, dogs and children :)

2018-01-07, 13:24:36
Reply #49

surferdude

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I used both in 3dsmax, you can hardly compare these two products without understanding the fields where they operate. Corona render is a standard of architectural visualization!
Fastest Cpu render plugin and reliable on huge scenes, can easily setup as mentioned before (one click render), tons of premade materials and tutorials for Archviz.
One real competitor is - Fstorm (which is also oriented in Archviz-3Dsmax).

Redshift in another hand is a best choice for vfx, motion graphics, films. Fastest and reliable Gpu render plugin with great functionality, you can tweak almost everything what you need in almost every software.
But doesn't have enough premade materials, tutorials, pages or communities for 3dsmax.. "rocket science setup" in the eyes of Corona user.

Render legion should work in the direction of Gpu render, otherwise they will start to loose step by step to someone like Lumion.. One click render feature heh? How about one click project? :)
Instead of developing plugin for Cinema4d, you guys should go deeper into Sketchup.. adding more functionality for vfx only will harm your product. And let's be honest, its really hard to beat the titan like Redshift(GPU) in Cinema4d or Houdini.
Wish you will stay in Archviz field :)
« Last Edit: 2018-01-07, 13:35:49 by surferdude »