Author Topic: IR slow in high resolution  (Read 199 times)

2019-02-12, 17:56:56

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG
Not exactly a bug, but I did not know where to do this post, please, if I am wrong, I ask to move the post.

I work with a Philips 4K monitor because of this high resolution that the Render RT window opens very small and when it increases a little to fill up better, the resolution of the real time gets too high, rendering the rendering slower due to processing. Is there any way to optimize the use of Corona render for a 4k monitor?

Working in complex scenes with Realtime in 1700..1900px is not a very easy task.

« Last Edit: 2019-02-13, 13:15:49 by maru »

2019-02-13, 13:18:01
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I moved it to feature requests, and renamed to "IR slow in high resolution", since "4k monitor" was not a very descriptive name. ;)

I am not sure how exactly to understand it. It is expected that IR will become slower as its resolution gets higher. How exactly could it be optimized? One idea I can imagine is having IR artificially upscaled, but that would probably make it blurry/pixelated.

What you can do right now is lowering the size of the IR VFB by either resizing the floating window, or docking it in the viewport.
Another option is plugging a second monitor with lower res (full hd or less), and using IR on that monitor only.

2019-02-13, 17:11:25
Reply #2

Lucas Rodrigues

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ilustra Studios CG

Thanks for the answer. Actually, that's exactly what I did, I take the render window to a fullHD monitor and work on it, but I figured I could have a more efficient option to work ideally on the 4k monitor.
Thank you

2019-02-13, 18:58:18
Reply #3

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The solution to have upscaled IR is not bad, yes it would be blurry, but that isn't such issue on HighDPI displays. Soon enough, we will work on 8k monitors, and rendering at 1:1px zoom ratio for IR will be impossible.

Right now IR always renders at extents of VFB size, and then you can zoom it but of course you end up looking at crop. How much better it would be if you could already start the IR at different zoom ratio or completely decouple VFB size and IR rendering resolution.
Or is the latter somehow already possible ? Resize VFB without resizing IR resolution ? Then we could zoom however we want without loosing real estate.
talcikdemovicova.com  Website and blog
be.net/jurajtalcik    My Behance portfolio
lysfaere.com   Something new

2019-02-13, 19:12:31
Reply #4

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
Resize VFB without resizing IR resolution ? Then we could zoom however we want without loosing real estate.

+1 it's something that would be very useful for 4K monitors
Retail Designer/ Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2019/Corona Version: 3DB/ latest

2019-02-13, 21:35:26
Reply #5

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The way the Fstorm VFB works is neat. It also has the advantage of being able to render in IR at lower resolution than Corona's minimum, which makes IR even faster.