Author Topic: dubcats secret little hideout  (Read 101375 times)

2018-01-11, 22:36:26
Reply #105

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
Hey there Dubcat, how's work on those luts :D ? Can't wait to try them out. Thanks man !

Hey!

The LUTs have been ready since December, just waiting for the devs to fix the loglut loader :)

edit:

These LUTs will compress and adjust contrast. Tonemappers like ACES also change how light intensity behaves, to do this we have to change color matrix.

Here is an example made by Koola, from the Unreal 4 community.

ACES does a pretty good job at emulating how light intensity behaves, but it still has a bug with blue light. Blue turns into pink instead of cyan. fStorm has a custom matrix that correct this problem. Currently Corona does not change how light intensity behaves, so pure Red/Green/Blue will still be pure Red/Green/Blue. Stuff will look like "UE4 - Exp 0" no matter what you do.
« Last Edit: 2018-01-12, 04:34:57 by dubcat »
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 / https://dubcatshideout.com  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2018-01-13, 00:26:08
Reply #106

serch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The LUTs have been ready since December, just waiting for the devs to fix the loglut loader :)
u do.

Are devs actually working on the fix?

2018-01-13, 07:55:55
Reply #107

oddvisionary

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance | Artstation : artstation.com/oddvisionary
Instead of fixing LUT it would be better if they simply add support for OCIO. I can't trust LUT for this kind of stuff. I prefer having a trusted color management system like OCIO (works like a charm in Arnold C4D, no LUT).

LUT should just be used for pre-viz grading.
Freelance Post-Prod / Lighting & Look Dev 3D Generalist | VFX Designer | Sound Effect Recordist & Sound Designer

Corona Discord server : https://discord.gg/2uxq8EA

2018-01-13, 15:03:10
Reply #108

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Dubcat :), asked if Devs are working on this topic in the daily builds topic. We'll see how it goes.

As for using LUTs only for previz grading - if something works out of the box then why overcomplicate it ;) ?

2018-01-13, 15:48:43
Reply #109

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Instead of fixing LUT it would be better if they simply add support for OCIO. I can't trust LUT for this kind of stuff. I prefer having a trusted color management system like OCIO (works like a charm in Arnold C4D, no LUT).

Dubcat and everyone is well aware of this, but adding full color-management has been requested for more than two years. It just doesn't feel like it will happen anytime soon, so any hack in mean-time would still be very welcome addition. Yes, LUT has certain primary use, but that doesn't mean it can't be used outside of the box for anything else.
Heck, even the main tech luminaries behind game dev like John Hable suggested LUT to be ok solution for tonemapping.

talcikdemovicova.com  Website and blog
be.net/jurajtalcik   Our studio Behance portfolio
Instagram   Our studio Instagram, managed by Veronika

2018-01-16, 09:34:25
Reply #110

oddvisionary

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Dubcat and everyone is well aware of this, but adding full color-management has been requested for more than two years. It just doesn't feel like it will happen anytime soon, so any hack in mean-time would still be very welcome addition. Yes, LUT has certain primary use, but that doesn't mean it can't be used outside of the box for anything else.
Heck, even the main tech luminaries behind game dev like John Hable suggested LUT to be ok solution for tonemapping.

For sure! I tried a lot of color management LUT tests. I stopped and instead focused on a post-workflow. I just export un-tonemapped renders (openEXR) and do the rest in Davinci Resolve/Fusion or After Effect which some of them have a full color management system built in.

I requested OCIO (like Arnold Color management) they didn't said anything yet : https://corona-renderer.com/forum/index.php?topic=18169.msg114140#msg114140

I use OCIO with Arnold, works very well! I can even edit and "write" my own LUT and configs and the ACES official forum is full of information about ACES in CGI. Hoping to get it to Corona as well soon or later (more later, I think Node graph is more a priority right now in C4D).
Freelance Post-Prod / Lighting & Look Dev 3D Generalist | VFX Designer | Sound Effect Recordist & Sound Designer

2018-01-16, 23:51:13
Reply #111

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Kickstart Cyan Eyed!
For sure! I tried a lot of color management LUT tests. I stopped and instead focused on a post-workflow. I just export un-tonemapped renders (openEXR) and do the rest in Davinci Resolve/Fusion or After Effect which some of them have a full color management system built in.

This is exactly my workflow as well, simple and uncomplicated to just render out linear exr's and then comp them together in Nuke, a program I 100% trust for colour management (with the right tools).
Please support my Kickstarter for my animated film, Cyan Eyed (rendered in Corona)!

2018-01-17, 00:17:02
Reply #112

oddvisionary

• Active Users
    • View Profile

This is exactly my workflow as well, simple and uncomplicated to just render out linear exr's and then comp them together in Nuke, a program I 100% trust for colour management (with the right tools).

LUT should be used like in real life, for movies etc. They have a camera (more than one obviously) they apply a custom lut made on set by an on set colorist, so they can a pre-color graded look of the shot (more immersive for the direction/DOP).

Same for CG, I use LUT just to check out how it would be with some post or mood. It can be handy to do everything in the frame buffer, but best solutions is always post.

Nuke is for sure a trusted software for that, and complete with OCIO/ACES/FILMIC.

2018-01-17, 00:51:33
Reply #113

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey there Dubcat, how's work on those luts :D ? Can't wait to try them out. Thanks man !

Hey!

edit:

These LUTs will compress and adjust contrast. Tonemappers like ACES also change how light intensity behaves, to do this we have to change color matrix.

Here is an example made by Koola, from the Unreal 4 community.

[img width=500 height=340]https://i.imgur.com/zSj6y79.jpg[img]

ACES does a pretty good job at emulating how light intensity behaves, but it still has a bug with blue light. Blue turns into pink instead of cyan. fStorm has a custom matrix that correct this problem. Currently Corona does not change how light intensity behaves, so pure Red/Green/Blue will still be pure Red/Green/Blue. Stuff will look like "UE4 - Exp 0" no matter what you do.

This is such a huge part of rendering I really don't know why we aren't looking into this with greater detail.

Please devs can we bump this up on the priority list?

How about a simple check box to unlock an "advanced tone mapper". That way all previous files render exactly the same, but for those that want to go further we have some more options (which doesn't clutter the UI by default).
Vray who?

2018-01-17, 13:59:06
Reply #114

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website

How about a simple check box to unlock an "advanced tone mapper". That way all previous files render exactly the same, but for those that want to go further we have some more options (which doesn't clutter the UI by default).

Yup, full (and correct this time) filmic this way would be great.

Maybe in 2020 :- )
talcikdemovicova.com  Website and blog
be.net/jurajtalcik   Our studio Behance portfolio
Instagram   Our studio Instagram, managed by Veronika

2018-01-17, 14:23:22
Reply #115

oddvisionary

• Active Users
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2018-09-23, 03:17:04 by oddvisionary »

2018-01-17, 17:20:16
Reply #116

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I think the C4D dev team is separate to the main Corona app. Also the tone mapping would quickly come to both as they use the same frame buffer window.

2018-01-19, 03:52:55
Reply #117

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
I want to state that all my posts are directed to still image architectural visualization. The stuff I post is not directed for people who use a "pipeline", like CGI film. I need to get quick and good results straight out of the frame buffer. I like to think of VFB as a photo, and then I can open the "photo" in Lightroom/CameraRaw and do the final tweaks if I want to. The logLUTs are a temporarily "hack" solution, until Corona can get a more advanced tonemapper with custom matrix. It's not a question if Corona should get a new tonemapper or not, but when. Currently I use my own custom scripts in Fusion, but I really don't want to. fStorms tonemapper is superior in every way right now. It has a shoulder, it has a toe. It adjust light intensity according to real photos. It has a custom matrix that takes care of the blue turns to pink problem. It might not be 100% photo correct, but it's not pink. I only use Corona, and it hurts to say this, but it's the truth. We are not on top of the food chain when it comes to tonemapping, and there is no reason why. Corona Team = Best Team.

edit: fixed some typos, damn you auto correct!
« Last Edit: 2018-01-19, 04:58:22 by dubcat »
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 / https://dubcatshideout.com  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2018-01-19, 16:15:17
Reply #118

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to state that all my posts are directed to still image architectural visualization. The stuff I post is not directed for people who use a "pipeline", like CGI film. I need to get quick and good results straight out of the frame buffer. I like to think of VFB as a photo, and then I can open the "photo" in Lightroom/CameraRaw and do the final tweaks if I want to. The logLUTs are a temporarily "hack" solution, until Corona can get a more advanced tonemapper with custom matrix. It's not a question if Corona should get a new tonemapper or not, but when. Currently I use my own custom scripts in Fusion, but I really don't want to. fStorms tonemapper is superior in every way right now. It has a shoulder, it has a toe. It adjust light intensity according to real photos. It has a custom matrix that takes care of the blue turns to pink problem. It might not be 100% photo correct, but it's not pink. I only use Corona, and it hurts to say this, but it's the truth. We are not on top of the food chain when it comes to tonemapping, and there is no reason why. Corona Team = Best Team.

edit: fixed some typos, damn you auto correct!

All of the above x2

If you check the gallery, most guys on the forums are posting archviz stuff made using 3ds max. Only a small minority of Corona users are messing with Nuke e.t.c. I don't see why improving the tonemapping features of Corona to make it on par, or even surpassing the quality of F-Storm somehow detracts from the functionality for the compositing guys (it will still be there if you want it).

I'd bet my left arm that most people want an all in one solution that can produce the prettiest images out of the box, with the least amount of hassle.

This is also why I stick with Corona and don't go full into F-Storm, there are too many limitations with it despite it producing very photorealistic images.
Vray who?

2018-01-19, 19:36:18
Reply #119

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Exactly. If you want to go pro, you still can.

As we work closely with interior designers  there is also the aspect of the images being exactly the same throught many many preview turns.
I can't imagine editing say 30 shots each time with external software, caring to maintain contrast etc. at the same level. Therefore (at least for us) getting the most straight out of VFB is very important.