Author Topic: GrowFX Scene Parsing  (Read 3057 times)

2016-11-02, 13:54:05

AscotDesign

  • Active Users
  • **
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Hi All.

I have a scene with 8 different grow fx trees in, with a grow fx wind animation modifier for subtle leaf movement. I have instanced these trees around my scene (approx 50 but will need more) and have done a test render on my local machine and it renders without issue. However when I submit it to the render slaves they all get stuck parsing the scene. 0% CPU usage and the RAM stopped counting at approx 6GB.

The slaves all have enough RAM to render the scene, it only uses 16GB locally and they have 32GB and 64GB on the various machines. The 2 32GB machines are i7 based and the 2 64GB machines are xeon e5-1620's.

All are running the latest hotfix of Corona and have installed the render slave growfx plugin on each.

Has anyone had the same issue? And if so how was it fixed please?

Really reluctant to send it to a render farm for it to not work.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

2016-11-02, 14:25:00
Reply #1

GabaCGStudio

  • Guest
can you try this scene with corona 1.6?

2016-11-02, 14:55:22
Reply #2

AscotDesign

  • Active Users
  • **
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply.

I can but I didn't know there was a 1.6? Where can I download it please?

Thank you.
Andy

2016-11-02, 15:03:11
Reply #3

GabaCGStudio

  • Guest
Thanks for the reply.

I can but I didn't know there was a 1.6? Where can I download it please?

Thank you.
Andy

1.6 is as an dailybuild ... install 1.5.1 and then upgrade it to 1.6 ....

1.6 DB download link: (Folder 2016-10-26) -- more info on documentation
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mswauuv1afec8am/AAA5OKrd_QujokDM3mxQ7S40a
« Last Edit: 2018-03-12, 15:23:06 by maru »

2016-11-02, 15:04:50
Reply #4

AscotDesign

  • Active Users
  • **
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Thank you. Will give that a go.

2016-11-02, 15:40:32
Reply #5

AscotDesign

  • Active Users
  • **
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
OK so that didn't work either.

I did try re creating the trees so they weren't instanced too but no difference.

I also tried rendering the file through the backburner on the machine I know it works from when rendering normally, but it gives the same behaviour. Stops responding when parsing the scene.

Has any one experienced anything similar?

Thanks
Andy

2016-11-02, 18:35:24
Reply #6

cebli

  • Active Users
  • **
  • Posts: 13
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualisation & Animation
There is a bug with growfx trees manual update and corona. You have to remove manual update tick from all trees.

2016-11-03, 10:08:03
Reply #7

AscotDesign

  • Active Users
  • **
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
OK Thank you. I will give that a try.

2016-11-03, 11:04:18
Reply #8

AscotDesign

  • Active Users
  • **
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Sadly still no luck. All trees had manual update un ticked anyway.

Its fine rendering locally, could it be a backburner problem possibly?

2016-11-04, 20:45:45
Reply #9

PEgaz

  • Active Users
  • **
  • Posts: 41
    • View Profile
Hi Andy,

We're in the middle of rendering animation of heavy scene with animating trees ... and we also had such issues.
We gave a try with different way of animated trees (native GrowFX, Instanced mesh with PointCache native to growFX, Instanced trees with 3dsmax PointCache) - final solution was making them as animated proxy (even if they were bigger than Mesh+PointCache) and switch to new 1.6 Corona Build.

All slaves (via BackBurner) was Pursing forever, or they started to render 3,4 frames and then next one 10x longer  ... solution was ... stupid ...  make windows PageFile as big as possible ( I did 40GB here (if you have spare disk space))

Now it renders ... and I just need to restart some slaves from time to time if they have pant.

PEgaz

2016-11-07, 09:57:48
Reply #10

AscotDesign

  • Active Users
  • **
  • Posts: 25
    • View Profile
Hi Andy,

We're in the middle of rendering animation of heavy scene with animating trees ... and we also had such issues.
We gave a try with different way of animated trees (native GrowFX, Instanced mesh with PointCache native to growFX, Instanced trees with 3dsmax PointCache) - final solution was making them as animated proxy (even if they were bigger than Mesh+PointCache) and switch to new 1.6 Corona Build.

All slaves (via BackBurner) was Pursing forever, or they started to render 3,4 frames and then next one 10x longer  ... solution was ... stupid ...  make windows PageFile as big as possible ( I did 40GB here (if you have spare disk space))

Now it renders ... and I just need to restart some slaves from time to time if they have pant.

PEgaz

Thank you for this, I shall give this a try.