Author Topic: Installed 64Gb of RAM, but only 32Gb are usable  (Read 31925 times)

2017-08-09, 13:14:46

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello

I had 32 Gb of RAM on my computer, now I've bough 32 Gb more and installed it today. Windows can see 64 Gb of RAM, but it uses only 32... Screenshots attached
Win 10 Pro. Motherboard - Asus Z9PE-D8 WS

Will be very grateful for any suggestions
« Last Edit: 2017-08-09, 13:25:08 by Bormax »

2017-08-09, 14:17:27
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Maybe you have reset/flashed the BIOS while upgrading? You may just have to reconfigure memory usage. Can't reboot any dual Xeon right now to tell you more in detail where you may find that setting but it's for sure in your docs :) Look for "Memory mode" set to "mirroring" and try to set it to "Independend" or something similar.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-08-09, 19:15:32
Reply #2

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Frood!

Thanks for your help! I checked BIOS and found that Memory mode was set to "Independend". I changed it to "mirroring", but it made situation worse... Windows was seeing only 16 Gb as usable, so I switched it back.

2017-08-09, 22:54:12
Reply #3

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Well yes, it should be set to "Independend". Maybe this this article will help? I hope you don't have to update your BIOS though :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-08-10, 12:34:17
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Have you tried googling already? There are many results, like this one http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2928234/windows-half-installed-ram.html
Do you have exactly the same type of memory installed?
Maybe one stick is broken?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-08-10, 19:15:04
Reply #5

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you guys for your tries to help!

I think now I know where is a problem - these DIMMs are not exactly the same. Why I've bough different ones? It's because my processors have quite big coolers, each of them stands above one RAM slot so it's not enough space to put normal size DIMM there. I have had old DIMMs installed to two not covered slots near by  each of processors - two of them were linked to the first processor, another two were linked to the second processor. To add 32 Gb of RAM I've bough 4 compact size DIMMS with the same name and parameters and placed  them under the funs of coolers. So I have 2 couples of different DIMMs linked to each processor. I've got advise to place all the same type DIMMs linked to one processor, and another type linked to second proc., but I can't do that because of the size of processor's coolers. The only solution is to buy 4 more compact DIMMS and have them all the same type and put them under the coolers without problem with their size.

2017-08-10, 19:41:56
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Or you could try to remove radiators from old RAM modules, it shouldn't be very hard - there's plenty youtube videos on how to do that :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-08-10, 19:50:16
Reply #7

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Or you could try to remove radiators from old RAM modules, it shouldn't be very hard - there's plenty youtube videos on how to do that :]

Ha! Thanks for this tip! But I already ordered new compact DIMMS and found how to use the old ones ;)

2017-08-17, 14:47:07
Reply #8

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
I have the same problem, i just had to re-seat the ram sticks

2017-08-30, 12:54:55
Reply #9

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello again!

As I said above, I 've get now the rest of DIMMs and installed them on motherboard. So there are now 8 sticks, 8GB each, all the same, but I see the same picture -installed memory 64 GB (usable 32GB)...
Task manager says that there are Hardware reserved 32 GB
Everything I found on google didn't help. I've updated BIOS, but still the same problem is there. Re-seating didn't help either.
What to do with this?...
« Last Edit: 2017-08-30, 13:27:28 by Bormax »

2017-08-30, 13:28:31
Reply #10

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
A quick google of the "hardware reserved RAM" points to a couple of possible solutions, e.g. "Run-type msconfig, go to boot, advanced options, clear the maximum memory box", or a suggestion that it might be reserved by the onboard graphics, etc. Have you searched for that particular topic and tried any of the suggested solutions?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-08-30, 13:41:10
Reply #11

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A quick google of the "hardware reserved RAM" points to a couple of possible solutions, e.g. "Run-type msconfig, go to boot, advanced options, clear the maximum memory box", or a suggestion that it might be reserved by the onboard graphics, etc. Have you searched for that particular topic and tried any of the suggested solutions?

Thanks. Yes, I tried these ones

2017-08-31, 08:52:16
Reply #12

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You know, some strange thing happened.

Trying to solve this problem I started to change positions of those sticks again, and at some point I've got 40 GB of ram as usable. So, I just continued to change them on slots, install only part of them and so on over and over again...
And finally - SURPRISE! - I've got 64 GB of usable RAM! The most strange thing here is that I've got it installed 4 old normal size DIMMs in combination with 4 compact size DIMMs which I purchased first, as I actually had from the beginning of this story...
I don't see any logic in this, so I think computer just needed more love, or better to say wanted me to make love (let's name it so) a bit with it. :)

However, now I have whole 64 GB of RAM, and still can return 4 new compact sticks back to the seller, what is actually good!

Thank you for support!
« Last Edit: 2017-08-31, 11:08:42 by Bormax »

2017-08-31, 14:00:54
Reply #13

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I only ever had less than installed ram show up on that exact board with auto or wrong settings.
Once I found and entered the exact timings from the ram specification, all worked fine. Was also 64Gb, showing 32 or 48 with wrong settings.
But it worked at 1333MHz in auto, and all the memory was the same model (from 4 kits of 2x8Gb).

2017-08-31, 15:02:32
Reply #14

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Don't update the bios, as I have been told that by the memory company I purchased, awhile ago, and the motherboard went.
So a side note.
Dell Precision T7910