Author Topic: Artifacts/Noise after 4 hours  (Read 4325 times)

2017-10-21, 22:26:17

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've got a closet design to finish for a client this weekend.  The view cleans up quite fast (within 15 minutes without denoiser), but the area around the neckties continues to show artifacts/noise - see attached.  I have tried different settings to balance the sampling with no luck.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this cleaned up?  Thanks!

2017-10-21, 23:23:40
Reply #1

Gruender

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey, I don't know whether this will help or not.
As long as this is the only problematic area and you use the same material on all objects, I would guess the prob is in the geometry. Maybe flipped normals or something special which causes those artifacts.
Cheers

2017-10-21, 23:37:25
Reply #2

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey, I don't know whether this will help or not.
As long as this is the only problematic area and you use the same material on all objects, I would guess the prob is in the geometry. Maybe flipped normals or something special which causes those artifacts.
Cheers

Hi Gruender - thanks for the reply.  That's what I thought too.  I created the ties in Marvelous Designer (the geometry is rather dense) and then added a cloth surface modifier to them in C4D to get a little thickness.  I have tried making the cloth editable and the result is the same.  All normals are in the correct direction.  I've tried without the thickness modified too.  I am out of ideas.

2017-10-21, 23:54:18
Reply #3

Gruender

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-10-22, 00:36:48
Reply #4

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Lowering the phong angle did the trick.  Thanks for the help!

2017-10-23, 12:49:44
Reply #5

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Yeah, this is what we're looking at at the moment. Phong tag does cause some trouble with some objects.

BTW, randomize those boxes, they look waaay too regular :-)

2017-10-23, 14:04:21
Reply #6

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks houska.  Randomizing the boxes in on the list.  I have 6 styles of belt buckles to model today...

2017-10-23, 14:24:15
Reply #7

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Another hint for that Phong problem - you can triangularize the geometry. That also helped in our tests!

2017-10-23, 14:36:59
Reply #8

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks.  I'll keep that in mind if I run into any trouble.

2017-11-02, 15:26:46
Reply #9

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks like you guys fixed the phong tag problem.  I was able to uncheck angle limit in the Halloween build and the noise is gone...

2017-11-03, 16:33:44
Reply #10

kraphik3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have noticed same kind of issues when having a geometry without phong tag. There is no use to run render with corona for 4 hours. Totally unproductive. Just use denoiser to get rid off jaggy edges.

2017-11-03, 16:37:31
Reply #11

kmwhitt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have noticed same kind of issues when having a geometry without phong tag. There is no use to run render with corona for 4 hours. Totally unproductive. Just use denoiser to get rid off jaggy edges.

I would agree, but it now seems the phong angle issues is fixed.  The above view resolved within a little over an hour (with very little denoising).

2018-01-05, 16:02:51
Reply #12

kraphik3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I would agree, but it now seems the phong angle issues is fixed.  The above view resolved within a little over an hour (with very little denoising).
Yes it´s fixed I think so