Author Topic: Interactive Rendering won't update (Windows 10, DailyBuild 2017-10-13)  (Read 5438 times)

2017-10-23, 10:55:48

tennet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Good Monday
I just downloaded the latest DailyBuild (17-10-13) for Windows 10 Pro. Not sure if the Interactive Renderer works as it should or if I'm using it incorrectly.. (using C4D R18)

I have a 28-core Xeon workstation with 64gb RAM, running Windows 10 Pro, and IR updates quickly when panning the camera and also when offsetting/rotating my HDR SKY, but when I change material settings like 'reflection glossiness' and Bump-map, then it doesn't update the IR viewport correctly. The IR render view doesn't match my material previews.. and if I stop IR and render normally (using VFB) then I instantly get the "correct" results. See attached test renders - "render 1" is using IR and "render 2" is using normal VFB render with the exact same material settings.

Also, when using IR nothing updates when rotating the Sky object in the C4D viewport. I need to use the 'offset U' parameters on the HDR texture tag to see any lighting/reflection updates in the IR viewport. But when using "normal" VFB render mode - or C4D's 'Interactive render region' - then I can rotate the Sky Object itself and see the expected results directly.

Any ideas if I must change any settings or if this is a bug or just shouldn't work?

2017-10-23, 13:12:47
Reply #1

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Hi and welcome to the forums!

The Interactive Renderer works exactly the same as the final renderer, with the exception of us having to parse the scene manually, so there might be some things that we simply forgot or where we made a mistake. As far as I understood your post, there are two problems that you are reporting - IR not reacting to sky rotation changes and IR not parsing your material correctly, right?

Could we ask for a simple scene, where we can reproduce the problem with the materials? Link to the private uploader is in my signature. Thanks!

2017-10-23, 13:26:45
Reply #2

tennet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Good Monday
Thanks! Yes correct, the IR render doesn't update when I rotate my Sky Object (only when I offset the HDR using the texture tag) and the materials doesn't update correctly when I adjust settings like "reflection glossiness" (using different C4D noise or bitmaps) or bump maps (using c4d shaders or bitmaps). These are the two main material settings where I have tested and noticed this, so there may of course be other material settings that are affected.

I have uploaded the above scene to you. Let me know if you need any more info.

2017-10-23, 14:52:41
Reply #3

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Thanks for the scene! Reflection glossiness works fine for me, bump-map makes the IR window refresh, but the bump changes are not reflected unless you restart the IR.

We will look at it.
« Last Edit: 2017-10-23, 14:59:37 by houska »

2017-10-23, 15:51:47
Reply #4

tennet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Good Monday
Great! For the reflection glossiness, it works for me aswell if I’m not adding any textures to control it. Also, I’m loading my textures in the c4d ’filter shader’ and tweak the bitmap settings there... if that can cause any problems (it works fine for final renders though).

2017-10-23, 16:54:36
Reply #5

4b4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for this problem too

A noise or texture in the glossiness channel doesn’t update correctly in the IR

2017-10-23, 17:13:01
Reply #6

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not only Bump needs restarting after changes but Displacement as well. Now I learned that Displacement is only rendered within what's visible in the Viewport when you start IPR, to save RAM and time. What about Displacement changes during an IPR? Should they update the render? Do they in Max?

2017-10-23, 17:28:37
Reply #7

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Not only Bump needs restarting after changes but Displacement as well. Now I learned that Displacement is only rendered within what's visible in the Viewport when you start IPR, to save RAM and time. What about Displacement changes during an IPR? Should they update the render? Do they in Max?

Nope, displacement won't update as that wouldn't be very "interactive" and you might as well just restart the render anyway... :-) Max behaves the same way.

2017-10-23, 20:34:21
Reply #8

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nope, displacement won't update as that wouldn't be very "interactive" and you might as well just restart the render anyway... :-) Max behaves the same way.
Thx for the quick reply!

2017-11-01, 14:10:04
Reply #9

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile

2017-11-01, 15:25:09
Reply #10

tennet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Good Monday
Thanks! Just downloaded the latest build yesterday and I'm still testing it on a new scene. So far I believe I still need to update/restart IR when I edit my layered bump-map materials (using C4D 'Layer shaders' and then stacking some different C4D noise-shaders inside of it... glass material, if that matters). Will continue testing to see if it works on other materials.

I also tested to rotate my Sky-object using the standard 'rotation tool', to see if it updated in IR, but it's not. If I use the 'Offset U' value on the material tag, then it updates realtime. Weird though... it's not updating when I use the rotation tool (even if I see the sky rotating in my viewport), BUT if I type in any rotation value in the 'coordinate manager' (in the 'H' parameter) and hit Enter, then it updates the rotation in IR. So IR seems to register when I type in a rotation value manually, but it's not reacting when I rotate the sky using the rotation tool?

2017-11-01, 15:35:49
Reply #11

houska

• Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile

2017-11-01, 15:56:49
Reply #12

tennet

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Good Monday
Hi again, Sorry I had downloaded the 10-25 build, not the latest 10-31. Now the Sky object is rotating normally, thanks! :) Haven't tried changing the bump maps yet, but maybe this will work now also.