Author Topic: Material Library Updates - Share your ideas  (Read 12562 times)

2018-07-10, 14:45:59
Reply #30

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
some ideas from myself include interior floor and wall tiles - recently I was looking for such materials and it's not easy to find them, usually modelling 3d tiles works best, but also takes more time
<snip>

Agreed. Theres a pretty simple mat graph i use but could do with some tweaking for realism. Happy to share it if anyone wants it (Gives control over grout, tile and gloss level)
« Last Edit: 2018-07-10, 14:49:59 by jpjapers »

2018-07-11, 09:45:51
Reply #31

soso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What about sand material? I mean like the desert.

2018-07-13, 00:26:07
Reply #32

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
A Stainless steel like this would be great. Less intense on the brushing and more random.

2018-08-31, 11:16:04
Reply #33

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
In Corona 2.0 are corona materials using absolute paths, with a configurable centralised location? Like how Siger shaders work? We're still on 1.7 here.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2018-10-26, 14:46:13
Reply #34

mkhlpopov

• Users
    • View Profile
What's about to make an user library tab?

2018-11-02, 12:53:51
Reply #35

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What's about to make an user library tab?
Good idea! ;)

Obviously we already have it logged as a feature request. No timeframe yet, though.

2018-11-02, 16:26:46
Reply #36

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Different roofing and house siding materials! Shingle, shake, board and batten, etc   :)

2018-11-04, 06:10:18
Reply #37

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Different roofing and house siding materials! Shingle, shake, board and batten, etc   :)

I downloaded RC4, with the latest material library and lo and behold, all of the above is included!  :)

This library is starting to be wonderful, and it is heart warming to see humble suggestions making the way in there. Two things would make it absolutely perfect:

1) The option to add user materials. I would like them to mixed in with the OOTB Corona materials, so please don't just create a User category, so that one doesn't have to create a cumbersome parallel structure for personal materials. Maybe personal materials could have another background or some tag, etc. to highlight that it is a user material. It would also be great if users could upload their materials for possible inclusion in the official collection.

2) An automatic thumbnail preview generation for the user added materials.

2018-11-04, 11:41:22
Reply #38

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I never use CML, so i didn't know that it uses jpegs for everything, even for displacement maps. I understand that it is done probably to save bandwith, but the quality of displacements is just horrible. Since library is constantly growing, delivering 16bit maps, would probably inflate it too much, but i think things can still be improved here. Since displacement maps usually doesn't need to have much high frequency details, but smooth gradients are much more important, then why not to blur the maps in Corona bitmap node? My small test shows vast improvement in displacement quality, by simply replacing interpolation mode to bicubic and slightly increasing blurring size (5-10 pix value seems to deliver most optimal result). That would marginally add to the rendertime, but i think that quality improve is worth it.

I'm attaching few pictures for comparison: 1 - grey mat with original displacement texture, 2 - same mat with 16 bit displacement texture, slightly blurred in photoshop 3 - original displacement texture with bicubic interpolation and 8 px blurring in CBitmap node, 4 - full mat with original displacement texture, 5 - full mat with tweaked displacement map, 6 - filtering tweak screen

I think such tweak would be very inexpensive to perform from Corona team side, yet it would vastly improve materials' with displacement quality.
« Last Edit: 2018-11-04, 16:37:26 by romullus »
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.

2018-11-30, 15:44:53
Reply #39

Romas Noreika

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • romasnoreika
Hello everyone,

I am not sure did anyone requested a custom library TAB. And if it would be possible to integrate that render ball studio scene.

So lets just say I create a material that I will be using 90% of the time like brushed metal or glass. And I could go to to CUSTOM tab in corona library and crete a custom library structure in a chosen folder. Categories like glass, metal, fabric etc. And in each of those store those materials. Plus render a preview for it with corona studio. So lets just say save the material and then when it appears blank with the name or so right click on it and say : RENDER preview and it will open that corona studio ball and render it and store it. Like in project manager you can choose your own custom scene if you want.

At work I work with vray with project manager but at home I always work with corona because its amazing. This feature would be amazing a game changer in that space.

Some images attached.

I am pretty sure that is possible :)

Thank you.

2018-12-11, 10:49:16
Reply #40

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I never use CML, so i didn't know that it uses jpegs for everything, even for displacement maps. I understand that it is done probably to save bandwith, but the quality of displacements is just horrible. (...)
This is a valid case where autobump is not really that great. The displacement map itself works fine, but when bump is applied (generated from the same map), those artifacts appear.
Looks like we will have to do something about it indeed. The filtering fix is a nice idea.