Author Topic: How to get this lovely soft diffuse look to renders?  (Read 3742 times)

2018-01-21, 12:00:19

vermu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

What kind of lightning should I use to get this nice soft diffuse look to renders. I really haven't seen this kind of look in corona renders. How would you need to set up the lights to get this look?

This pic is from restoration hardware site and they have lovely interiors pics. I just can't mimic them in corona.

2018-01-22, 10:59:28
Reply #1

Rimas

• Active Users
  • Please refer all complaints to a brick wall nearby
    • View Profile
Soft light and a fairly high contrast is what you're looking at. The color palette (dark wood, dark blinds, bright furniture, somewhat grey walls) are also key here.
Much like in the real world bright surfaces bounce light, darker ones do not. The more dark you have in your scene (even if it's a cheat behind the camera) - the more light gets absorbed.
I'd say play around with that.
A morning of awkwardness is far better than a night of loneliness...

2018-01-22, 12:39:13
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I agree with Rimas and I'd also say that a softer sharpening setting could work interesting with this one.

In some cases you could also play with the reduce noise tool in PS (including the remove JPG compression) to get a more vintage-y look. Tread carefully though because that can quickly destroy an image too :)
« Last Edit: 2018-01-22, 13:02:47 by nkilar »
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2018-01-22, 12:54:54
Reply #3

Jadefox

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Renderlab
Also try and minimize the amount of windows where light can penetrate.
You will notice the black roller blind blocks a lot of direct sunlight, giving it that nice drawn out shadows as light gets funneled through a smaller opening.
Set the corona sun size to at least 16 for those diffused shadows.
Hope it helps.

2018-01-26, 09:15:16
Reply #4

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As a Finnish man, I have been thinking that I would like to challenge myself and model a sauna.
Maybe there would be a glass door also which would lead to the shower room.
The tricky part would come as there would only be one light source, nothing else.
I like this saunalight (now an old model/style, these days everything is LED-based...):

Inside the wooden box is that glass-monster and inside there would be a 80W(?) bulb.

Would be a nice challenge to see if I can light up the whole scene with one light. The shower room wouldnt catch much light
but would be nice to try to get the mood right.

This is too luxorious, it has a window. But the light is same.

2018-03-05, 13:43:24
Reply #5

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I think in a scenario like this you could really help yourself with filmic tonemapping. I think combining it with the normal Reinhard (Highlight Compression) should get you a step closer :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us