Author Topic: 10 bit monitor  (Read 1693 times)

2018-06-24, 12:16:26

GeorgeT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • CG Node Studio
Hello everyone, I was planning on buying the Benq 240sw 10 bit monitor for color accuracy but then I found out that for 10-bit support in Open GL (for Photoshop) I would need a Quadro card.
My questions are:
-Does anyone have experience with 10-bit monitors? Is the output worth it, or do I just need to look for some color calibration services for my current monitors?
-Right now I'm leaning for an NVidia Quadro P2000 card is it a good/bad choice? (I have no experience in Quadros)

Thank you!

2018-06-24, 12:48:32
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The lower end Quadros are not really worth it, most of the time OpenGL performance is good but DirectX is way behind gaming cards. Most CAD programs run OpenGL so it makes sense there, not much for DCC apps like Max or Maya.

10 bits displays aren't really necessary since practically no target device will support it, 8 bits everywhere for consumer devices. Most higher end displays will work in 10 bits internally anyways and that's why it makes more sense to invest in a  wide gamut display and a calibration device - that's what makes display colors accurate and reliable.

2018-06-27, 20:06:57
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
10bit color output is quite separate thing from color calibration. You can have 10bit panel with 97perc. sRBG gamut coverage and 8bit panel with 110perc. sRGB coverage, the latter will be more precise.
In general, very few digital artists even benefit from it, the main clientele is medical and print.

You almost never suffer from banding either as 8bit panels usually support RFC and so does additionally Photoshop.

Using weak Quadro in this age would be a total waste of money and performance. Just forger this thing even exists :- ).

Definitely do get color calibration sond, ideally iDisplayPro from X-Rite which you will be able to use on almost every monitor, whether hardware (internal 3D LUT storage in monitor OS) or software (through GPU storage LUT) calibration.
No need for any service, the software is fully automated almost, it takes few minutes and 5 clicks to run.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!