Author Topic: Threadripper Builds  (Read 157297 times)

2020-01-20, 15:50:50
Reply #855

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Ok that's a really good usage, I wouldn't have guessed that sims can write that much data. I contemplated Raid 0 for a moment, but then saw that Q1 random access is even slightly bit worse for most part, so since I don't write anything at all to system drive, it wouldn't make sense.
But I am contemplating investing into Optane for system driver instead.

Good for you, Samsung claims their next drives will be "immortal" :- ).
talcikdemovicova.com  Website and blog
be.net/jurajtalcik   Our studio Behance portfolio
Instagram   Our studio Instagram, managed by Veronika

2020-01-22, 19:30:54
Reply #856

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ordering the parts today for my personal rig gonna go with the 3970x. Was going to wait for the 64 core part but I can't wait anymore. Got that itchy feeling in my wallet lol... I am also pretty sure that the 32 core is going to have a better single core turbo max then it's more expensive brethren, and that is what interests me more.

Juraj could you could you give me an advise, thnx! Should I go for the aorus Master or the Strix e gaming? I am asking this because I already ordered the 2xcorsair kits of 2x32gb the 3200mhz ones you got in your 3950x. So I am going for a total of 4x32gb ram. I guess you already did a more thorough research regarding this than me since I am currently checking my custom loop options. I am completely overwhelmed  by it... It's gonna be my first custom loop, wish me luck :).
« Last Edit: 2020-01-22, 19:35:59 by Vuk »

2020-01-22, 19:57:42
Reply #857

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Should I go for the aorus Master or the Strix e gaming?

Since there is no bad board per se it TRX40, I think it's down to sympathy ;- ). But I think the Gigabyte is the better board of these two:

- It's bigger board with better pci-e spacing. So you can do 2x double-slot GPUs + 2 expansion cards. In Asus second GPU will always block one port. Asus does have 3 x16 slots but I still find the Aorus better solution.
- Both have very capable VRM but the Aorus is still ahead with 16+3 Phases vs 16 and passive heatsink vs micro fans.
- The Strix is kind of ugly...gamey looking. Has far less professional look than Aorus and still lacks most ROG features like Dimm.2.
- Aorus has 5GBe vs Strix 2.5GBe. For 500 Euros they could have spent those few euros that Aquantia 10GBit chip costs...but I guess "Market segmentation! Customers need choices!" was on drawing board that day.

I am long term Asus fan, but in my opnion Gigabyte recently did much better job with their products. Both X570 and TRX40 have air of higher-quality product to them whether it's build quality or feature set.

2020-01-22, 20:12:03
Reply #858

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Should I go for the aorus Master or the Strix e gaming?

I have Aorus Master,
like this board a lot, it has all that I need, the first start was without any problem. But wit aorus is EATX so you need also full tower case, keep this in mind :)

2020-01-22, 22:45:53
Reply #859

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thnx Juraj! Thr problem is that the Aorus Master is the only board besides the Pro of the whole trx40 lineup that I can get in my country and it costs 631 euros ( with 2 or 3 years of warranty ) while the Strix is 589 euro ( 1 year of warranty ) from Hungary.
That is not a big difference the bigger difference is the Aorus Master being E-ATX and my old case being a Lian-Li O11 Air which I really love and would rather not change fits only an ATX :(. Maybe I could even fit it inside but it is going to be a squeeze inside with the pump, reservoir, etc...

2020-01-22, 23:00:10
Reply #860

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
O11 Air does fit E-ATX though, or do you mean because it could slightly collide with side-mounted radiator? Since it's just 2cm difference I think it would fit even then, but I am not guaranteeing it.
Or would it block the bottom fan too?

But neither is bad choice, if Strix fits you better get Strix.

2020-01-23, 11:48:26
Reply #861

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
LOL at ASUS https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Zenith-II-Extreme-Alpha/overview/

Not even 2 months came by since release, they already did their classic "sorry guys we designed shit product, here is how it should have been done since beginning" :- D.

upgraded Power Stages

The main upgrade was moving from 70A to 90A power stages.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-24, 09:10:17 by Juraj Talcik »

2020-01-23, 13:10:09
Reply #862

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2020-01-23, 13:13:47
Reply #863

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Why spend money on top-tier Infineon stages when you can put more RGB Leds right ;- ) ?

2020-01-23, 15:03:39
Reply #864

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
LED is an answer for everything these days. Can't wait for LED lit PSU blades so I can see power usage color representation 50% green 75% orange 100% red right? ;)

2020-01-23, 15:42:53
Reply #865

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am now torn between the Master, Strix and Creator :D Don't really need the 2.5g and the 5g need the 10g but I can get that with an add-in card for 100-120 euro tops from Aquantia...

2020-01-23, 17:11:07
Reply #866

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
All right, upgrade complete.  3970x + Zenith II + 128GB TridentZ 2933 CL14. Corona 1.3 bench 29s . Old vray bench 20s. No oveclock, no PBO.
I`m pleasantly surprised with temps vs all core freq after 1h rendering, stable at 63 degrees at 30% fan speeds on all fans. All cores freq. are 3950Mhz.  Dual 360rad + Heatkiller IV for the win!

I think Zenith II have fu** bios, can`t do anything to fan speeds prior to windows boot. They all run full speed, including pump. On latest bios that is.
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2020-01-23, 17:32:05
Reply #867

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Is that temperature shown on the LED display onboard ? Or actual core temperatures from HWiNFO ?

2020-01-23, 18:03:14
Reply #868

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Is that temperature shown on the LED display onboard ? Or actual core temperatures from HWiNFO ?

HWiNFO
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2020-01-24, 09:09:45
Reply #869

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Interestingly, the new Zenith II Alpha seems to have Infineon 90A power stages that were otherwise not possible to buy yet, so it might be a new product.

So for extreme overclocking of the 3990X that poses interesting decision: (If anyone wants to do something irrational like that).

-Alpha has 16x 90A power stages, but teamed with doublers, a solution borne out of necessity long time ago (because no lower temps for board due to rippling prevention was ever shown to be actual thing since X299).
-Aorus has 16x 70A power stages, but with full 16 phases for CPU and 3 more for DRAM.