Author Topic: Threadripper Builds  (Read 156817 times)

2020-01-24, 11:17:53
Reply #870

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
I was looking at that board yesterday and it seems like the power stages are the only thing they added/changed on top of regular Zenith II? That`s just sad. And they probably going to  slap like 1000USD price tag on it. PCIE layout is still sub optimal, and that 4th slot at the bottom still share the bandwidth with dimm2 slot, leaving it with 4x speed only.  At that pricertag Aorus Exreme seems superior.
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2020-01-24, 11:25:35
Reply #871

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
They also keep stressing the PCI 4.0 wiring lot more this time so not sure if they changed how the chipset lanes are wired.
talcikdemovicova.com  Website and blog
be.net/jurajtalcik   Our studio Behance portfolio
Instagram   Our studio Instagram, managed by Veronika

2020-01-27, 23:12:16
Reply #872

Tyron

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, so I recently finished a 3960x build with a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 Edition CPU cooler, the case also has a lot of open space for ventilation.
Now when rendering I'm getting temps of around 90°C i know the max temp is 95°C but I cant help but think that's kinda high. If anyone could shed some light that would be great.
*There is thermal pastes and all fans are working. 

2020-01-28, 10:00:46
Reply #873

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes it's pretty high.

It's also pretty bad cooler because it's not true TR4 dedicated cooler, the CPU plate was made bigger to cover the full heatspreader of CPU, but it's false because on other side the fins are same size as for smaller sockets and water only ends up cooling the centre of CPU. I would call it half-job, it's better than slapping non-TR4 AIO, but much worse then real TR4 sized coldplate like Enermax or dedicated waterblock for custom loop.

The general suggestion is still to get Noctua UH-14s, risk faulty Enermax (or try to fix it yourself by swapping fluid), or build custom loop.
Everything else can be ignored.

If you look at this picture, the CoolerMaster is basically what you see on left, but actually even lot worse. A proper TR4 coldplate needs to look like on the right.

« Last Edit: 2020-01-28, 10:06:12 by Juraj Talcik »

2020-01-28, 10:34:04
Reply #874

Tyron

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj, I appreciate the feedback!
Just to clarify do you think the Noctura UH -14 would be a better solution in the time being until I can build a custom loop setup?

Cheers.

2020-01-28, 15:00:57
Reply #875

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The custom loop is not necessary. I do believe UH-14s TR4 is better than your Cooler Master, people report on average 10 C lower temperatures (But of course, everyone has different room ambient, amount of GPUs inside case, and pulls the number from different software).

2020-01-29, 09:20:31
Reply #876

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, so I recently finished a 3960x build with a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 Edition CPU cooler, the case also has a lot of open space for ventilation.
Now when rendering I'm getting temps of around 90°C i know the max temp is 95°C but I cant help but think that's kinda high. If anyone could shed some light that would be great.
*There is thermal pastes and all fans are working.

I am using 3960x and h115i pro in a so small case that I literally could not even fit the radiator inside of the case so I needed to get it outside so I needed to remove front mask. So having said that I am also not using perfect TR4 coverage and I dont ever get over 85c. That was only once. Usually if I left Corona to render for an hour I get stable 77 after 15 minutes and it stays there.

So I can only ask you few things. Do you have proper case ventilation, are other fans faced on right side , frontal pulling and other pushing air out of the case. Is thermal paste being applied correctly, try big blob in center or X pattern. Have you maybe used far too little of it. Are you fans having enough space to get outside air in. Is your room a sauna :D

Possible solutions to make things better: Try to set pump and fans to rotate as fast as you can. Try to buy few more fans  and do push pull formation . This is how I lowered temp from 80 to 77. 
Try to open the case and observe the difference.

After working for few days thermal paste will get to its maximum expanding and will cover most of the space. IN first days i got 83. Then 80 and then after I bought two more fans I got to77. At 77 I am happy.

2020-01-29, 10:41:35
Reply #877

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
If your fans need to run more than 50perc. to get those addditonal 2-3C down outside of peak temps (like during denoise) then maybe the cooler just isn't right choice to begin with. But seeing how popular it is... I don't know what to say about it further.
Push Pull on 28mm ultra-thin aluminium radiator is same extreme, not even 60mm copper radiators with medium fin density benefit much, it's again 2-3C at really high RPMs (1500+).

High viscosity pastes like the one from Noctua expand within 5 minutes. When I tested Noctua against Cryonaut, there wasn't even 1 degree of difference, just lot more trouble with spreading the dense paste.

2020-01-29, 10:50:14
Reply #878

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If your fans need to run more than 50perc. to get those addditonal 2-3C down outside of peak temps (like during denoise) then maybe the cooler just isn't right choice to begin with. But seeing how popular it is... I don't know what to say about it further.
Push Pull on 28mm ultra-thin aluminium radiator is same extreme, not even 60mm copper radiators with medium fin density benefit much, it's again 2-3C at really high RPMs (1500+).

High viscosity pastes like the one from Noctua expand within 5 minutes. When I tested Noctua against Cryonaut, there wasn't even 1 degree of difference, just lot more trouble with spreading the dense paste.

So you think its the cooler thats getting him to 90c. I am not saying that its not responsible for higher temperatures but there must be something additional to get him to 90. Its just too high. 
Only one way to know by testing with different cooler.

2020-02-03, 10:12:51
Reply #879

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Only one way to know by testing with different cooler.

Fully agree with that :- ).

2020-02-03, 16:37:15
Reply #880

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
This new 300W DTP Air cooler from Zelman looks pretty solid! Wish that was a TR4 version,  https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/zalman-cnps20x-and-cnps17x-noctua-look-out/
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2020-02-03, 19:00:46
Reply #881

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Still waiting for the Waterblock from EK should be here any day. Got all the other parts. The motherboard is ok but  I don't know how I missed the fact that the 1st PCI-e slot is so god damn close to the RAM slots. If I want to take out the ram on the left side I need to take out the graphics card... They made the latches open on the bottom part overlapping the PCIE slot while the right side ram slots have the latches at the top not overlapping on anything... Jesus Asus why...

I had a Kraken X62 laying around from a previous build I made for my friend so I completed the case with that one. Did a loop of 10 minutes Cinebench runs and the Maximum temperature on the package was 84 degrees. Tried both the Corsair 4x32gb 3200mhz CL16 kit and the G.Skill 3200mhz  Ripjaws 4x16gb kit. Docp/XMP works for both. Enabling High-performance mode with stock 2133mhz ram gets me from 34 sec to 30 sec in Corona bench while enabling XMP on the Corsair ram gets me to 29 sec with 128gb ram. On G.Skill got 28sec with 64gb will try populating all 8 slots to see if I get a worse result. This is all of course without OC since I am still waiting for the water block.

Don't mind the mess in the background :) Will post some more photos when the loop is completed :).

2020-02-03, 19:35:11
Reply #882

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What is high-performance mode? Windows power settings? Or some bios auto-overclock?

84C on Cinebench in open-case loop is pretty damn terrible ;- ). I don't think there are more arguments needed why it should be avoided. But people will still buy it so what..

This new 300W DTP Air cooler from Zelman looks pretty solid! Wish that was a TR4 version,  https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/zalman-cnps20x-and-cnps17x-noctua-look-out/

Yeah this one is really nice (in performance...because it's absolutely ugliest fans ever). The new DH-15 (16?) will have 1 more heatpipe (or two for TR4 sized chip), and will be either on par with this or even better. It's just too far away..

2020-02-03, 19:45:10
Reply #883

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
High performance in windows power settings yes. 84C with a closed case. I expected this but none the less wanted to test the parts out before the "real" cooling arrived :).
Can't imagine going with this during summer. We got 20 to 21 C ambient right now in the office, during summer it's crazy hot...

The PC is a beast can't wait to try some real-world use. Single-core on stock goes to 4.5Ghz eats my ex I9 for breakfast :D

2020-02-03, 19:50:49
Reply #884

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
How does it feel in "impossible to measure" "snazziness" when using Photoshop or so? :- )

I am asking because there are already odd reports where people feel the systems are still sluggish in Adobe apps (in terms of perceptible lag, not computation).
I didn't test the 3950X I built for our modeler, I just installed it, benchmarked and gave it to her so I can't do any comparisons.