Author Topic: Threadripper Builds  (Read 156070 times)

2020-01-07, 23:06:04
Reply #765

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The base is bit lower than I expected, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the boost works just as well as it does on 3950X, it never even gets near the base. (from all tests I ran on 3950X which has 3.5 GHz base, it's always at 4 to 4.1 when rendering all-core, and 4.2-4.55 when up to 4 cores are utilized, so it covers almost all the workstations tasks. Even during rendering, it will still boost up single-core for Photoshop action for example, it works really nicely).

But otherwise looks like everyone here is on the same ship, 3970X is simply far too good. Let's hope the benchmarks will come sooner than 7th Feb.

GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS XTREME is really worth extra money compared to ASUS ROG ZENITH II EXTREME?

Not sure if anyone can categorically tell. Aorus went extra mile to really go over the top with the build and features with price that follows (particularly the Intel dual-nic), but they both have fantastic VRM, heatsinks and shit ton of m.2 slots.

One thing I can tell, is that Asus 'looks' better than it actually is, while I really enjoy the ROG aesthetics (minus rgb) and just today received Rampage Omega for my multi-media/gaming PC where I'll slot the i9, there are so many complaints about the lack of working bios, various design faults,etc.. Did you guys know that almost half of those uber Dominus boards for Xeon 3175X were faulty and couldn't boot due to misplaced conductors? Asus lives on brand-name recognition, but quality control is not what it used to be.

For Zenith:
- E-ATX fits almost everywhere, in majority of cases, not just mid-towers, even some small towers!. It's just wider.
- Easier access and better cooling of m.2 drives due to Asus's proprietary "DIMM.2" addon card that slots next to memory. This is really nifty thing.
- Lot more popular, brands test their memory on it to make sure it work. So G.Skill has kits that were tested and guaranteed to work on Zenith II, but not on Aorus. This gives you a peace of mind when buying 1000+ Euro memory.
- If you only ever plan to add dual GPUs, the layout is sort of better.

For Aorus:
- If you ever planned on Quad-GPU rendering, then this is the board for it.
- Intel 10GBe is of much higher quality than Aquantia, both on hardware and driver level. It's not dramatic difference but if you want the best...also comes with two 10GBe nics so you can go 20GBe straight on.
- Passive cooled VRM. TRX40, just like X570 has already tiny and annoying chipset fan. No need to have more of them on board.
- Sturdier build. Both boards have backplate, but Aorus is full-cover and more heatsink connected, might even actually help with temperatures, not just aesthetics.
- General consensus on UEFI is that Gigabyte is really trying hard at the moment and might be the best player right now when it comes to care.

You can't go wrong with either. And if you don't need 10GBe, you don't even need to go with these. More affordable Aorus Master and Asus Strix are also good boards with same VRM.
talcikdemovicova.com  Website and blog
be.net/jurajtalcik   Our studio Behance portfolio
Instagram   Our studio Instagram, managed by Veronika

2020-01-07, 23:19:03
Reply #766

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ordered today  Aorus Master tomorrow will buy 3970x :) like that this board doesn't have a fan for vrm. also vrm temp looks really good and the price is really good 500$.
I hope in 2 weeks I will complete my build

2020-01-08, 00:12:13
Reply #767

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The base is bit lower than I expected, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the boost works just as well as it does on 3950X, it never even gets near the base. (from all tests I ran on 3950X which has 3.5 GHz base, it's always at 4 to 4.1 when rendering all-core, and 4.2-4.55 when up to 4 cores are utilized, so it covers almost all the workstations tasks. Even during rendering, it will still boost up single-core for Photoshop action for example, it works really nicely).

But otherwise looks like everyone here is on the same ship, 3970X is simply far too good. Let's hope the benchmarks will come sooner than 7th Feb.

GIGABYTE TRX40 AORUS XTREME is really worth extra money compared to ASUS ROG ZENITH II EXTREME?

Not sure if anyone can categorically tell. Aorus went extra mile to really go over the top with the build and features with price that follows (particularly the Intel dual-nic), but they both have fantastic VRM, heatsinks and shit ton of m.2 slots.

One thing I can tell, is that Asus 'looks' better than it actually is, while I really enjoy the ROG aesthetics (minus rgb) and just today received Rampage Omega for my multi-media/gaming PC where I'll slot the i9, there are so many complaints about the lack of working bios, various design faults,etc.. Did you guys know that almost half of those uber Dominus boards for Xeon 3175X were faulty and couldn't boot due to misplaced conductors? Asus lives on brand-name recognition, but quality control is not what it used to be.

For Zenith:
- E-ATX fits almost everywhere, in majority of cases, not just mid-towers, even some small towers!. It's just wider.
- Easier access and better cooling of m.2 drives due to Asus's proprietary "DIMM.2" addon card that slots next to memory. This is really nifty thing.
- Lot more popular, brands test their memory on it to make sure it work. So G.Skill has kits that were tested and guaranteed to work on Zenith II, but not on Aorus. This gives you a peace of mind when buying 1000+ Euro memory.
- If you only ever plan to add dual GPUs, the layout is sort of better.

For Aorus:
- If you ever planned on Quad-GPU rendering, then this is the board for it.
- Intel 10GBe is of much higher quality than Aquantia, both on hardware and driver level. It's not dramatic difference but if you want the best...also comes with two 10GBe nics so you can go 20GBe straight on.
- Passive cooled VRM. TRX40, just like X570 has already tiny and annoying chipset fan. No need to have more of them on board.
- Sturdier build. Both boards have backplate, but Aorus is full-cover and more heatsink connected, might even actually help with temperatures, not just aesthetics.
- General consensus on UEFI is that Gigabyte is really trying hard at the moment and might be the best player right now when it comes to care.

You can't go wrong with either. And if you don't need 10GBe, you don't even need to go with these. More affordable Aorus Master and Asus Strix are also good boards with same VRM.

My budget is getting tighter and tighter so every cent counts for me. I'm looking for good quality board with good VRM and affordable price, Aorus definitely is great but way too pricy at this point. If I had to choose between aorus and rog zenith i would pick rog only because it's lower price. Since I really don't need 10GBe I think I'll choose between Aorus Master and Asus Strix as you mentioned. I know it's stupid question but are you sure they are good enough for 3970? they are kinda cheap compared to aorus :)   

thanks man

Ordered today  Aorus Master tomorrow will buy 3970x :) like that this board doesn't have a fan for vrm. also vrm temp looks really good and the price is really good 500$.
I hope in 2 weeks I will complete my build

I think we are in the same boat :) What case did you choose if I may ask?

2020-01-08, 00:21:15
Reply #768

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I think we are in the same boat :) What case did you choose if I may ask?
[/quote]

I'm looking for a full tower case :)
Found today on the local market Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900, gonna go and check tomorrow the condition.

2020-01-08, 00:27:42
Reply #769

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
looks good but I would ask Juraj first if ventilation is sufficient, he's an expert here after all.

2020-01-08, 00:36:42
Reply #770

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
unfortunately, in my country, I don't have too much choice of cases, but if I will not find any good deal I will buy from US Amazon.
I saw some testes on youtube and Silverstone seems one of the best cases.
You need to remember that Aorus is an E-ATX board.

2020-01-08, 00:49:03
Reply #771

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
My budget is getting tighter and tighter so every cent counts for me. I'm looking for good quality board with good VRM and affordable price, Aorus definitely is great but way too pricy at this point. If I had to choose between aorus and rog zenith i would pick rog only because it's lower price. Since I really don't need 10GBe I think I'll choose between Aorus Master and Asus Strix as you mentioned. I know it's stupid question but are you sure they are good enough for 3970? they are kinda cheap compared to aorus :)   

I understand, there has been big price creep. TRX40 boards might be loaded with "features" (or "crap") but they're still overpriced. You don't even have to go to Master/Strix level, you can go the "cheapest" Prime. The VRM is still same 16 power stages with big heatsink.
All the boards are very much capable.

looks good but I would ask Juraj first if ventilation is sufficient, he's an expert here after all.

LOL I am absolutely not ...but in this one case (pun intended)

Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900,

My suggestion is to make sure you don't buy the original version but the revision 2. It comes with stronger fans and few improvements.
This is pretty airflow restricted case because the shrouded intakes are very dense, and there is some recirculation from top venting back into front (because the air channels are connected)
I also looked at this case two years ago for myself (because it's silent and big-tower, and Define XL2 is very outdated) and there was quite negative review from GamerNexus Steve.

Here is comprehensive review of the revised version: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3335-be-quiet-dark-base-pro-900-rev2-benchmarks-review

2020-01-08, 01:06:30
Reply #772

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj, :)

Can hardly wait for news from danio1011 about his setup.

The fractal define s2 is out for delivery now!  That's the last part I need.  If the Aorus eXtreme mobo fits I should be good to go and will certainly post any glitches, etc.  Otherwise I'll be ordering the XL Fractal on rush delivery :)  I could always breadboard the setup, I suppose, even without a case...

2020-01-08, 10:15:28
Reply #773

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile

LOL I am absolutely not ...but in this one case (pun intended)

oh yes you are :) seriously don't be too modest Juraj

I'm cutting my expenses drastically so I was wondering if there is any other well ventilated case but cheaper, or this one is considered as cheap? On the other hand I know ventilation is crucial with 3970 + air cooling  so maybe this particular case is way to go? Ambient temperature during winter is +- 24/25 C but in summer it goes really hi (around 28/29) sometimes 30.

« Last Edit: 2020-01-08, 10:21:29 by twoheads »

2020-01-08, 11:35:15
Reply #774

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys, can you help me with thermal Paste for the cooler?
which one do i need to buy?

2020-01-08, 11:36:12
Reply #775

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
ventilated case but cheaper,

How much cheaper? Fractal Meshify S2 (Solid), can be had about 100-120 Euros after discount. This is airflow oriented case (as opposed to silence Define series).
This is considered to be good value price for what you get (it comes with 3 good 140mm fans already).

Guys, can you help me with thermal Paste for the cooler?
which one do i need to buy?

Most coolers come with little paste tube. Noctua paste is excellent, but so is Cryonaut.

2020-01-08, 11:45:41
Reply #776

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, Juraj!

this is what i ordered :)  only worry about ram if they will work good, anyway i have intel x299 board and i will put in this MB.

2020-01-08, 11:49:35
Reply #777

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Everything looks excellent. Even with two GPUs, you could potentially downscale to 1000W PSU.

Memory will work fine. 3000 CL16 is bit lower-bin compared to 3000/15 or 3200/16 but you found a really good price.

2020-01-08, 11:52:36
Reply #778

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Everything looks excellent. Even with two GPUs, you could potentially downscale to 1000W PSU.

Memory will work fine. 3000 CL16 is bit lower-bin compared to 3000/15 or 3200/16 but you found a really good price.

memory was on sale when I got it, now price for this ram is 371$ lol

2020-01-08, 11:54:52
Reply #779

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah and I suggest people to get more ram than they think they might immediately need because memory and SSD might get more expensive this year again.