Author Topic: Threadripper Builds  (Read 156071 times)

2020-01-16, 02:06:23
Reply #825

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there any reason not to upgrade the Noctua cpu fan that comes with the 14s to the 3000 rpm ‘industrial’ model?  Potentially even with a push pull setup.  Discounting noise as a factor of course.  Seems like you could potentially drop a few degrees by doubling the rpm unless airflow is not the limiting factor...

2020-01-16, 09:40:01
Reply #826

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Is there any reason not to upgrade the Noctua cpu fan that comes with the 14s to the 3000 rpm ‘industrial’ model?  Potentially even with a push pull setup.  Discounting noise as a factor of course.  Seems like you could potentially drop a few degrees by doubling the rpm unless airflow is not the limiting factor...

I personally run all funs 400-800 rpm. Noctua NF-A14 are for example quite intruding at their 1200-1500 RPM range.
Noctua NF-A12x25 are exception, this is probably the single most high-tech fan in world when it comes to engineered accoustic pleasantness, they are pretty nice sounding even at 1500 rpms, and get noisy in the 2000 rpm range.
But IPPC range :- D ? Good luck.

It wouldn't make drastic difference anyway. The heatsink transfer is not the issue, the die-to-coldplate is. You would need more heatpipes, not fans.
talcikdemovicova.com  Website and blog
be.net/jurajtalcik   Our studio Behance portfolio
Instagram   Our studio Instagram, managed by Veronika

2020-01-16, 11:16:46
Reply #827

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Finally sourced Aorus Xtreme my dudes :- ). After email from local retailer telling me that even Gigabyte Europe doesn't know when they'll have any restock, I decided to go for Amazon.
And fun thing.. Amazon.es was MSRP (990 euro) while Amazon.de was 1270 euro (LOL), both Amazon as seller directly, I never buy from 3rd party on Amazon (for that we have eBay with paypal protection).

Should arrive on Monday and hopefully it's the correct one.

Can't source any memory kits though, so I will probably risk buying 4 kits separately.

2020-01-16, 13:13:50
Reply #829

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazon as seller directly, I never buy from 3rd party on Amazon

me too, only buying from amazon- Ships from and sold by Amazon.com, never had any problem and shipment is also fast.
Tomorrow my CPU and MB will arrive to me, hope all will be fine.

BTW 2990 already selling on ebay for 1200$, 2 months ago was hard to find even for 1500$ :D

2020-01-16, 13:29:46
Reply #830

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
this one ?
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-x570-aorus-xtreme-amd-x570-am4-ddr4-pcie-40-triple-m2-2-way-sli-crossfire-10g-gbe-wifi-usb?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkYHUoIqI5wIVyrTtCh1jMg7lEAQYAiABEgJuDPD_BwE

No, that is X570 for Ryzen, the TRX40 version for Threadripper.

so I will probably risk buying 4 kits separately <--- explain please?
are you doing what i am going to do? purchase these two kits and make 128gig?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/corsair-vengeance-lpx-64gb-2x32gb-ddr4-pc4-28800c18-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-4cf-cs.html

Yes, put 4 (2x32GB) kits for 256GB Kit. I would like to get working XMP profile out of the box, so I can only buy 3200 modules with best timings. G.Skill offers 16/18/18/38 while Corsair 16/20/20/40, it leads me to believe they much have done little bit more sampling. (Or not).
It's also possible to do what you did, buy even faster modules and then run them slower in frequency but with faster timings. But I would love to get out-of-the-box working solution in ideal case.

2020-01-16, 21:42:00
Reply #831

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Point taken about the 3000 RPM fans, heh.

Congratulations on sourcing the Extreme!  I bet you'll love it!

I've been experiencing BSODs and crashes to desktop the last 12 hours or so.  I've also been utilizing more of my memory because I'm starting to do post production while rendering, which I hadn't previously.  I disabled the XMP profile and am going to see how it treats me, 3600 is probably just pushing it.  If that doesn't fix it I'll start doing some detective work on stop codes etc.

Edit:  Dropping to stock memory profile (2133mhz) speed only impacted the benchmark by 2 seconds, up to 30 seconds from 28.  Huh, I would have expected a way bigger difference.  So far the system is stable again.
« Last Edit: 2020-01-17, 00:45:06 by danio1011 »

2020-01-17, 10:09:06
Reply #832

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah the 3960/3970X have much better I/O without any compromise (like 2990WX) so there isn't massive impact anymore.

This is why it's good to ignore all those Reddit posts "Bro, you are leaving performance on table if you don't buy 3600!! Every one know Ryzen needs fastest memory".

So definitely drop to save 2933/3200. BSODs are 90perc. memory related (occasionally driver issue).

2020-01-17, 11:23:10
Reply #833

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
So I ordered this from Amazon Spain yesterday...and it came today in morning. This is one thick, big-ass board. Looks fantastic.

My new EKWB parts came as well (new matte tubing and Torque fittings, look very industrial, no more that plastic crap but I had to move to thicker tubing).
So that leaves the CPU & Optimus block only!

2020-01-17, 12:28:26
Reply #834

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah the 3960/3970X have much better I/O without any compromise (like 2990WX) so there isn't massive impact anymore.

This is why it's good to ignore all those Reddit posts "Bro, you are leaving performance on table if you don't buy 3600!! Every one know Ryzen needs fastest memory".

So definitely drop to save 2933/3200. BSODs are 90perc. memory related (occasionally driver issue).

Juraj, would you be kind to explain how does memory clock and timings effect working in Corona. For example, in what terms would best memory be better than worst memory. Is it rendering times, parsing times, speed of working in 3ds max, opening 3ds max, speed of importing model etc etc. I am curious.  ( this is for the 3rd gen threadripper user )

Thanks

2020-01-17, 13:11:32
Reply #835

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Someone would have to benchmark all those things to quantify the difference :- ). We've seen this quantified with 2990WX where the difference was pretty severe (due to only half of dies having direct memory controller access mostly).
Wendell on youtube had video yesterday where he did this on 3960X and used the Phoronix suite, but that is not exactly useful for us and there wasn't much difference in Vray or Blender.

It affects latency sensitive processes, under which theoretically fall all those you listed. Yet the difference between worst (2133) vs fastest (3600+) is not big at all (5perc.?)with 3rd gen Theadrippers it seems, and is virtually non-existent after 3000.

But most importantly, the price difference between average (2666) and really good (3200) is not big at all, often time the difference is almost nothing. Of course, past this, it quickly exponentially grows expensive, but we can ignore those module since they aren't stable in high capacity anyway. 3200 CL16 is golden standard for Zen3, and doesn't come with any price premium (only price difference between different 3200/16 modules comes down to heatsink and amount of RGBs on, like Corsair LPX vs PRO, or G.Skill RipJaws vs Z-Neo,etc.. no actual performance difference).

Good price right now is 300 Euro for 2x32GB 3200 CL16. You need two of such packages to populate quad-channel, that's 600 Euro for 128GB of fast DDR4 Ram for Threadripper or Ryzen9. In my opinion it is no brainer to buy :- ). In upcoming year, this price might go up. And you can always upgrade to 256GB easily should you ever want to.
Unless you already have existing memory, I would ignore 16GB modules.

2020-01-17, 14:28:38
Reply #836

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Juraj did you go for 4x of these kits in the end? If I remember well you used these 2 kits for the 3950x the ones finishing with E3200C16?

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK64GX4M2E3200C16

I ordered 4x of these as well since they are cheap and probably will use them in the next few months in my next TR build.

2020-01-17, 14:49:06
Reply #837

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I ordered this from Amazon Spain yesterday...and it came today in morning. This is one thick, big-ass board. Looks fantastic.[/img]

Congrats! Enjoy the unboxing. Interesting, how they covered most of the electronics on that motherboard.

2020-01-17, 14:57:21
Reply #838

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Juraj did you go for 4x of these kits in the end? If I remember well you used these 2 kits for the 3950x the ones finishing with E3200C16?
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK64GX4M2E3200C16
I ordered 4x of these as well since they are cheap and probably will use them in the next few months in my next TR build.

Didn't order yet memory. But these two worke perfectly in 3950X, they're fully stable at 3200 16/20/20/38 across all tested workloads.

It's not like there are any other alternatives :- ) G.Skill has 3 identical sets of 3200 16/18/18/38 which maybe are from the same batch as the Corsair. The cheapest heatsink (RipJaws) cost the same as Corsair LPX and are on QVL list for TRX40 boards by G.Skill. I take it as guarantee it will work.
I was waiting for the 14/18/18/38 but given the two of the above were released yesterday as CL16, it looks like those were not stable and will never materialize.

None of this really matters, I just decided this build will be over the top for once so I am sweating unimportant details ;- ).

So I ordered this from Amazon Spain yesterday...and it came today in morning. This is one thick, big-ass board. Looks fantastic.[/img]

Congrats! Enjoy the unboxing. Interesting, how they covered most of the electronics on that motherboard.

Full heatsinks are very fashionable (and very useless outside of chipset & VRM) :- ). But the positive part of it is the board is really stiff, no bending. That will come handy when installing CPU block which always makes me nervous with the pressure.

2020-01-17, 15:59:34
Reply #839

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yo dudes!
finally got my pc parts!!!
all work just fine, even ram on 3000mhz is working without error.
corona benchmark time is 29sec.