Author Topic: UHD 4k Monitor and 3ds Max 2018 - Blurry UI  (Read 7081 times)

2018-09-22, 22:24:08

Marcin Pabich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Recently i moved to 32 inch UHD 4k monitor using 3ds Max 2018, because since 2018 version Max is stated that fully supports 4k resolution with and without windows scaling (150% is recommended). But when i am using scaling 125 or 150% (In upadted to latest version of Windows 10) everything is blurry in Max, there is any solution to get crisp and sharp text and icons in Max with scaling, so it looks so sharp like without scaling? By the way Max 2016 and 2018 looks exactly the same on UHD monitor without and with scaling, i heared that Max 2016 looks like disaster on 4k monitors?
« Last Edit: 2018-09-23, 14:31:04 by LateralusArt »

2018-09-23, 10:11:55
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Windows 10, 32" 4k, 2016 3dsMax over here.

125perc. scaling looks perfect, sharp 95perc. of the time. The only funny exception is (and I have feeling this is more due to my triple monitor setup) when I have framebuffer open, then dropdown menus will open some distance away (not directly where they should). Closing framebuffer solves this.
On 150perc. scaling, some stuff doesn't fit inside menus and isn't accessible. But I've heard this is solvable with some tweaks.

32" is big enough for 125perc. scaling if you eyesight is sharp enough :- ). Mine isn't...but I get by just fine.

Windows often requires apps to restart after change of scaling for correct display (and otherwise offers pop-up with "fix blurriness").

I wanted to update at some point but I keep asking people and I still see so many reports of crashes and glitches I simply cannot do it. I have ZERO issues or crashes with 2016. Even single crash would be too much for me now...
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-09-23, 14:43:05
Reply #2

Marcin Pabich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the help and reply Juraj. I tried Windows Fix blurriness option and properties of 3ds Max app (application, system, enchanced options) but all of this gives nothing.  Below i've attached screens of how looks my Max on 4k display with diffrent app version and scaling: 2018 100%, 2018 - 125% 2016 - 100% and 2016 - 125%. Can You confirm if those looks exactly the same on Yours screen, just to be sure that i am not doing something wrong?

2018-09-23, 17:19:06
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Not at all, my is absolutely crystal clear. This is strange... do you have the latest service pack ? Just asking I don't think it's related but good to check off stuff.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-09-23, 17:43:04
Reply #4

Marcin Pabich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's what i thought. Yes i have all service packs installed, windows and all drivers updated to latest version. Hardware spec GTX 980, DisplayPort-DisplayPort cable 1.2 60hz, system see the monitor as one screen so it isn't multi stream. Beside changing windows scaling to 125% did You do anything to have crystal clear UI?

2018-09-23, 18:26:38
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No I didn't, none of the advanced settings.

I checked them out just in case: 'Fix Scaling for apps' is set to OFF.

2018-09-23, 18:49:49
Reply #6

Marcin Pabich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, i think i the found cause, i didn't set 4k monitor as main one, in win settings it was set up as adittional screen and main was my old Eizo CX271, now when 4K monitor i set up as main scaling works fine i think. Can You check an attachemnt to see if now it looks exactly like Yours? (now it is set up to 125% scaling) Thanks for help!

2018-09-23, 19:03:35
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Have a look. Mine is within red.

Hard to say since yours image is so compressed that I think it's just jpeg compression&artifacts.

2018-09-23, 19:15:14
Reply #8

Marcin Pabich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, thank You very much! I've made comparison (mine blue) without compression, and looks the same :)

2018-09-24, 19:24:04
Reply #9

Marcin Pabich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is just one more issue, when using as main 4k monitor with scaling 125 or 150% and addtional one or two monitors which most of us have which probably is 24/27/30 FullHD/2k monitor (without scaling). All the panles which we keep on side on older screen like materials, layers, enviroment, render settings etc are blurry since they belong to 3ds max app which is scaled on UHD monitor. There is any way to keep 4k monitor with scaling 125%, and keep all 3ds max panels on 2k monitor on side without blur, crisp and sharp?

2019-11-20, 00:27:21
Reply #10

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just wondering if there is any new settings that I am not aware of to fix the Interactive rendering with a 4K monitor? Interactive rendering is quite blurry where as the Corona VFB is sharp as expected.
Specs: Windows 10, AOC 4k monitor, 3dsmax 2020, Corona v5

2019-11-20, 10:04:37
Reply #11

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Just wondering if there is any new settings that I am not aware of to fix the Interactive rendering with a 4K monitor? Interactive rendering is quite blurry where as the Corona VFB is sharp as expected.

Most likely it's upscaling issue. Go to render setup>system>system settings and check what is image upscaling factor set to. Should be 1.0
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-11-21, 01:45:41
Reply #12

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Most likely it's upscaling issue. Go to render setup>system>system settings and check what is image upscaling factor set to. Should be 1.0

Awesome! Thanks, that looks like it has solved it:)