Author Topic: Missing external files in every scene.  (Read 691 times)

2019-01-16, 12:53:50

vermu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Last night everything worked just fine. I had notification that win 10 is having an update. This morning every scene is giving missing external file notification and the list is long. What could have happened that most of the scene materials are missing and yesterday there were working just fine. Can win 10 update somehow fiddle with paths or is this just something else? Or are there too many lines in my external file path so it's exploding now to my face? 

2019-01-16, 13:25:15
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It could be update 1809 (postponed a few times due to problems) which has some issues with mapped drives, if that's the case with how your external data is stored:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4471218/mapped-network-drive-may-fail-to-reconnect-in-windows-10-version-1809

Find out which update got installed and google the problem you have, chances are it might be fixable.

2019-01-16, 13:34:14
Reply #2

vermu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Seems to be the case indeed. All the missing files are bought models. I have always just added the required paths to external files paths. When I was looking asset manager the paths were the paths where modeler had the files. The files that I have created myself are not affected.

2019-01-16, 13:35:40
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Seems to be the case indeed. All the missing files are bought models. I have always just added the required paths to external files paths. When I was looking asset manager the paths were the paths where modeler had the files. The files that I have created myself are not affected.
Maybe just relink them so they reflect the real path on your system. Maybe that's the issue?

2019-01-16, 13:40:49
Reply #4

vermu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep, that is working. When I relink the file in asset manager it's working. Does it mean that I have to do the relinking every time I open a scene that uses those assets? Or do the relink go to some global asset system?

2019-01-16, 13:53:13
Reply #5

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You should always relink any external assets to reflect your actual system/network paths. Otherwise the scene may lose them for some reason (whatever the cause was this time) at any point.

2019-01-16, 14:04:32
Reply #6

vermu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you have 90 models in library you have to relink each model and textures on it manually? That's quite a job. Or can it be done differently? Or what's the best way to do it?

2019-01-16, 15:44:22
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If you're using Connecter for your assets management, then it can batch fix paths and you'll never have problems with that again. Using max's external paths for the assets, is very bad habbit.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-01-17, 09:51:10
Reply #8

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree with romullus, connecter is a great tool for importing objects and batching. Another great tool to quickly relink all your assets if the links are missing within the scene is Colin Senner's Bitmap Relinker. Set the directory (eg your library) and let it do the work, your files should be auto relinked within your scene and you can continue rendering etc.

https://www.colinsenner.com/scripts/relink-bitmaps

2019-01-28, 15:38:58
Reply #9

vermu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thx for the replies. I started using connector and it's a great tool.