Author Topic: Transparent background in video with an HDRI  (Read 978 times)

2019-01-17, 22:03:22

Alphabetic

• Users
    • View Profile
Is there a way to use an hdri to light geometry and render a video with a transparent background?

2019-01-18, 08:55:54
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
The background is already "transparent" as it does not affect the alpha channel. If you mean compressing a video with alpha channel/transparency you have to choose special codecs to do so (for compositing). Maybe you could show some images to clarify what you mean exactly?

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-01-19, 03:12:09
Reply #2

Alphabetic

• Users
    • View Profile
I figured it out. I just rendered a .mov and set the compression type to PNG. Other types were giving me a black background when I imported frames to photoshop.

2019-01-19, 21:52:56
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
BTW, rendering straight to a video format is never a good idea, best to render to PNG and then composite to video afterward. The two biggies are:

- If the machine crashes, the power goes out, etc., ALL of your render is lost when rendering to a video format and you have to render everything again from the beginning. With stills like PNG you can just pick up and continue where you left off
- Video compression is baked in at render time if rendering to a video format. If it turns out to be inadequate, you have to redo the render from the start. With rendering to stills, you can just redo the video encoding part of the process

Just as an fyi :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-01-19, 22:05:35
Reply #4

Alphabetic

• Users
    • View Profile
I don't know whyI've never thought of that. Thanks for the tip, Tom!

2019-01-20, 20:13:41
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Most welcome! I learned that the hard way of course ;)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us