Author Topic: New Intel CPU based denoise library for ray tracing  (Read 10133 times)

2019-01-29, 21:54:32

sirio76

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Since Corona it's a CPU engine I think it will be great to integrate this new tool: https://www.techpowerup.com/251984/intel-launches-free-open-image-denoise-library-for-ray-tracing
It's similar to the Nvidia AI denoiser but runs on CPU(for free), please developers give a look because I think many of us do not want to waste money on pricey Nvidia GPU using proprietary tech just for denoising.
Seems that Intel AVX will speedup things but as far as I can tell it should run on AMD CPU as well.

2019-01-30, 12:59:40
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for notifying us about it. We will definitely look into it. We will post some notification if/how/when we could use it.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-01-30, 16:15:48
Reply #2

sirio76

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for notifying us about it. We will definitely look into it. We will post some notification if/how/when we could use it.

Thanks maru! I have always used AMD GPUs since none of my software uses CUDA, it’s important to give people like me an alternative to the pricier Nvidia AI denoiser.

2019-01-31, 18:24:26
Reply #3

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The sponza example in their gallery looks too good to be true, there's a lot of detail in the stone texture that just isn't there in the un-denoised version. Are they stretching the truth a little or is that the AI magic? https://openimagedenoise.github.io/gallery.html (sponza, 4th image from the top).

2019-01-31, 18:48:09
Reply #4

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Are they stretching they truth a little [...] (sponza, 4th image from the top).
No. It is a cherry picked example though.
Most information comes from the passes that are not involved with shading.
See this paper's youtube video that basically started it all: At 3:42 they show how the different passes are composited. The Albedo pass caries all the texture's color information that got barely resolved in that 4th picture.
However, the lighting on the walls is very low frequency in content, so all of it smears together nicely into correct uniform lighting. Ones high frequency content comes into play (detailed bump, Wood textures, carpets) all these filters start to fault with too little render time.

Impressive without a doubt though.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2019-01-31, 19:19:11
Reply #5

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-02-01, 10:50:29
Reply #6

sirio76

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think this solution is not any better than what we already have, ther’s plenty of good denoiser out there for both interactive preview and final frame, the point is that this will work on CPU so we don’t need to use pricey GPU in order to get interactive results.

2019-02-01, 15:09:51
Reply #7

sirio76

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Chaosgroup is already testing the Intel denoiser with Vray. Quality seems good, I've asked Vlado about the performance.

2019-02-01, 15:17:06
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
now we have prototype in corona too ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-02-01, 15:57:39
Reply #9

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Well, that was fast! :)

2019-02-01, 16:53:25
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Please make that all 3 denoisers would work at the same time with combined cleaning power! :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-02-01, 18:13:53
Reply #11

sirio76

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Great news :)
Please don't forget to add this feature in Cinema4d too!

2019-02-01, 19:50:25
Reply #12

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
"without it, the scene would have taken almost a yer to render" lol
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2019-02-28, 17:07:49
Reply #13

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Already in V4 dailies.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-05-01, 00:24:55
Reply #14

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Maru & Corona team,

the new CPU AI denoiser seems to work quite nicely in the Core 4 beta. And it creates such a realistic look due to the intelligent denoising which seem to react on the camera focus.
Also the displacement is great now, when stacked materials are used on poly selections!

In core 3, both features were (are) horrible - thats why some of us users asked for older betas.

But now, with the new Core 4 beta... wow ! Great times are back again.

Thanks so much to all of the Corona team, the big efforts you invest, and especially your openness for suggestions and critics from us, your customers.

Now, with the Core 4 beta, Corona really rocks!
Will be a great release!