Author Topic: Corona Denoiser vs Nvidia Denoiser  (Read 2540 times)

2019-02-15, 13:10:26

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys, just wondering if this is normal behavior:

Since Nvidia Denoiser implementation in Corona, I hardly use it because to me Corona Denoiser is exactly the same speed on my dual Xeon 2696 v3 against my GTX 1070 Ti. My question is: is this expected? I seem to remember in V-ray the difference between Vray denoiser and Nvidia denoiser with the same GTX 1070Ti was more evident meaning Nvidia denoiser was faster than V-ray denoiser. Is Corona denoiser more fine-tuned speed-wise than Vray denoiser?

2019-02-15, 13:13:55
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That sounds more like issue with how you use it, are you sure you have it on ? It's confusingly currently on two separate system tabs. On all our cards in office (1080ti's,1070, Titan Maxwell), it takes miliseconds to clear up to 3k image easily while in IR. It's snap of a finger, except 10 times faster than I can snap fingers.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-02-15, 13:53:28
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Definitely does sound like it is not the NVIDIA denoiser being used as Juraj says :) There is the checkbox in the Render Settings (Performance tab) which enables it during IR, then there is the dropdown list of Denoisers to use which is for final renders (which means it is entirely possible to have NVIDIA denoising during IR, but Corona denoising during final renders - which is why the two separate controls; just having NVIDIA checked in the Performance tab won't use it for final renders). BTW just how long is the "same time"?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-02-16, 09:38:25
Reply #3

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, I'm positive it's the Nvidia denoiser being used. And there's no clear winner with both taking about 1 second to start clearing the image.

One question to you Juraj: do you see any noticeable speed differences with Nvidia denoiser between your 1080ti and 1070?
« Last Edit: 2019-02-16, 09:42:13 by Dalton Watts »

2019-02-16, 12:01:16
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No I don't, at all. They both clean up the image well under second, so I couldn't notice any difference.

I use it only for IR.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-02-16, 14:46:18
Reply #5

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I should correct myself saying that both denoisers clear in less than a second also. But, again, they're both equally fast with no noticeable difference in feedback speed on IR as far as I can tell. Just wanted to know if this is to be expected when using dual CPU workstations. I suppose that Nvidia denoiser is more useful along with a fast CPU with excellent single core performance?

2019-02-16, 14:51:32
Reply #6

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, it might be me misunderstanding something, but AFAIK Corona denoiser doesn't work with IR. So what do you mean by "feedback speed on IR"?

Or is this a new feature in daily-build?

Regards

2019-02-16, 15:43:57
Reply #7

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona denoiser does work on IR, PROH. It is called High Quality on the drop-down menu on the scene tab.

2019-02-16, 15:50:42
Reply #8

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But that's not for IR, that's production render settings.

2019-02-16, 15:52:59
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Exactly, it doesn't. You can have two independent denoisers set, one for IR and one for regular rendering. But for IR, only Optix is available. For IR, it doesn't matter what the dropdown selection is set at.

I guess this is where the misunderstanding came from.

2019-02-16, 16:21:23
Reply #10

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My bad then guys! Thank you for clearing out the misunderstanding! ;)