Author Topic: Material ID  (Read 3217 times)

2019-05-20, 13:44:14

hughannes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have trouble getting a clean Photoshop-Selection from the material ID pass. I'm coming from Vray where I never had that problem.
Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Thank you in advance!

2019-05-20, 16:29:29
Reply #1

HFPatzi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey!

Are you using teamrender? There is an issue with material ID Passes and teamsrender.

Greetings,

Moritz

2019-05-20, 18:12:40
Reply #2

hughannes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know about the Teamrender issue, thank you. However, the issue I'm having is with renders on a single machine.

2019-05-20, 19:22:02
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
A post of your results, showing what you mean, would be helpful. Is it to do with anti-aliasing at the edges? Have you tried with Filtering off or on for that render element?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-05-22, 16:53:59
Reply #4

hughannes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure. I've attached a crop.
I used filtering as I'm working in Photoshop. I understand Nuke for instance prefers aliased selections and does the anti-aliasing after the fact. However, that's not an option for us.

2019-05-23, 14:51:44
Reply #5

hellyeah

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Dominik Moser
I´m optimizing something like that with the "Select and Mask" Feature. Normally works fine.

2019-05-27, 09:00:12
Reply #6

hughannes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tip. However I was hoping there was a non-workaround solution.
We're doing dozens of selections each render. Anything longer than a point-and-click solution seems too laborious. Especially coming from a renderer that let me do just that.

2019-05-27, 09:29:53
Reply #7

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know what you mean about the edges of the masks (alphas) not being as clean as I'm used to. I think the Anti-aliased edges are sacrificed a bit in the balance to get clean-ish renders fast.
If you're not using a super complicated scene, I sometimes render a native C4D standard or physical pass with no lights or GI afterwards. The masks are super-sharp and the render only takes a couple of seconds.

2019-05-27, 09:34:47
Reply #8

hellyeah

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Dominik Moser
If you're not using a super complicated scene, I sometimes render a native C4D standard or physical pass with no lights or GI afterwards. The masks are super-sharp and the render only takes a couple of seconds.

Same here. Sometimes it´s faster and easier to do so instead of fixing masks in Photoshop. Maybe you can save time with render presets with the right settings so you don´t have to set them up manually every time.

2019-05-29, 08:43:21
Reply #9

hughannes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you both for the tips.

Yes, we started using C4D's masks as well.
I was hoping for an easy fix. I'd love using Coronas ID pass.