Author Topic: transparency of the shadow in the Corona shadow catcher  (Read 1010 times)

2019-06-15, 12:43:24

krabobot5

• Users
    • View Profile
Hey. Tell me how to adjust the color and transparency of the shadow in the "Corona shadow catcher"? Under the object, a shadow is drawn on the plane with the material "Corona shadow catcher", but it is too dark, I would reduce its transparency.

2019-06-18, 12:32:51
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

2019-06-18, 16:23:14
Reply #2

krabobot5

• Users
    • View Profile
Have you tried "shadow amount"? :)
Of course this was the first thing I tried to change. However, this parameter does not affect absolutely neither the transparency of the shadow, but to be honest, I just did not see the difference in renders with this parameter at the maximum and at the minimum.

2019-07-02, 13:09:29
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Here is my test of the "shadow amount" value set to 1 (default) and 10 (maximum). With 10, the GI is almost invisible (bright light reflected off the teapot) and the shadow is darker.

2019-07-02, 18:31:31
Reply #4

krabobot5

• Users
    • View Profile
Here is my test of the "shadow amount" value set to 1 (default) and 10 (maximum). With 10, the GI is almost invisible (bright light reflected off the teapot) and the shadow is darker.
Thank you for your example. Yes, and at the same time you can compare the shadows themselves on the ground plane by 1 and by 10- pay attention to the middle of the shadow and its end furthest from the object. This parameter does not allow you to adjust what you need. You can set the very minimum but it will not make your shadow invisible. You just have to do an independent render of the plane and the object without a plane, and then manually merge and adjust. In any case, I already bought the V-ray render-there in it with no problem, now I switched to it completely.

2019-07-05, 14:42:57
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am afraid to control the transparency of the shadow like you explained, you would have to separate the shadow and the object in post (e.g. by rendering a mast of the object), and then just change the opacity of the shadow. We definitely want to rework the shadowcatcher at some point, but I can't tell you when exactly we could expect the updates.

Switching to V-Ray is a valid option too. :)