Author Topic: Times changes, maybe it is time for GPU support?  (Read 2731 times)

2019-09-20, 14:30:03

naeq

• Active Users
  • Corona lover
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Introduction:
Hello, my name is Thomas and I have been working as a 3D generalist, VFX artist and Filmmaker for the past fifteen years.
The first time I saw Corona Render (Alpha 3) I have immediately become obsessed with it. I have spent many years working with V-Ray, mastering its every setting to get the best render times - and now I have the ultimate solution in my hands - Corona rendering plugin. But it is not a rendering plugin, it is a virtual camera (that is what I like to call Corona Render). Thanks Render Legion for saving everyone’s time and money, great job! Even 'crackers' respect Corona and that's cool  :)

Due to the nature of my work, I need to follow current trends and be up to date with every aspect of that industry. Most of the software companies saw the potential in GPU utilizing, like Black Magic Design with their DaVinci Resolve, which became 15294739x times faster than Adobe Premiere, because of the perfect GPU utilizing.

Main thread:
I'm thinking: we have graphic cards with 8, 16, 24, 32 gigabytes (or even more) of RAM on board, we can connect them together (for example with NVLink) and get the pool of that memory. If that is not enough, we can even use the CPU RAM. At that point, the biggest struggle with GPU rendering is solved. Maybe it's time for you, Render Legion, to implement wonderful Corona rendering algorithms to utilize the GPU? Maybe it's time for the new era, just like in the old times, when Corona saw the daylight for the first time?

What do you think? Maybe I don't have enough variables in that manner, maybe that's not as simple as it looks or maybe there are more difficulties than I can see. Tell me what you think guys and once again - Thanks for such a wonderful 3ds max plugin, that Corona is!

Cheers!

2019-09-20, 14:52:47
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It's not as simple as the amount of memory - the architecture of GPUs is different. See https://corona-renderer.com/features/proudly-cpu-based and https://corona-renderer.com/features/the-cpu-advantage for discussion of that :)

"That means that the benefit of “thousands of processors” is only fully realized when all the cores are doing more or less the same thing at more or less the same time. The more varied the work that each processor core is doing, and the more branches in logic, then the more work is required to keep everything in sync and the less benefit you will see with GPU architecture, and at some point in complexity the CPU will easily overtake the performance of the GPU." to quote the second page.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-09-20, 15:05:58
Reply #2

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You forgetting what heart of corona is intel embree and how GPU may be not stable to work with other task during renders.