Author Topic: 3dsmax 2016 + 4K monitor  (Read 5690 times)

2019-09-20, 21:52:20

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi guys,

I was wondering if some of you have faced problem with 4K monitor and 3dsmax 2016. I've heard that there are some issues with viewport performance (font size, ratio..etc) is that true?
I plan to upgrade my monitors so any advice is priceless to me.

Thanks in advance
TH
« Last Edit: 2019-09-20, 22:02:47 by twoheads »

2019-10-07, 22:32:10
Reply #2

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I had problems. Upgrading to 2020 seemed to help slightly. But I still think Windows and 3ds max aren't optimized to run smoothly, even with 2080ti and 56 cores.

2019-10-07, 23:59:18
Reply #3

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In my case upgrade isn't an option (at least at the moment). That's why I'd like to know if something higher than FHD resolution makes 3dsmax viewport unusable, buying 4K display without being able to reach it's full potential would be just stupid overkill. If so, cheaper FHD or 2560 x 1440 display will do.

thank's for reply

2019-10-08, 00:22:56
Reply #4

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I´m on a 5k in C4D.
Renders were shown in half size... super annoying... until you set it to "half resolution".
Same with Photoshop...
In half resolution mode, the UI will look a bit blurry & with worse AA...
Ridiculous that software companies like Adobe & Maxxon don't catch up with display development.

All older versions except R20 had a huge lagging in the viewport. Only R20 works well.

I wouldn't wonder if you might face similar issues in older Max versions, too.

2019-10-08, 00:32:02
Reply #5

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, I guess it's more than possible. I think I'll just save myself unnecessary headache and buy cheaper FHD monitors.

2019-10-08, 00:46:49
Reply #6

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah, I guess it's more than possible. I think I'll just save myself unnecessary headache and buy cheaper FHD monitors.

I guess that's not a bad idea.
Until I found out that at least R20 works with the 5k... dude, I lost some nerves.
And as far as I saw the price policy for Max... switching to the subscription-mode, just for the sake of the latest version costs a fortune.

2019-10-08, 01:21:31
Reply #7

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Until I found out that at least R20 works with the 5k... dude, I lost some nerves.
And as far as I saw the price policy for Max... switching to the subscription-mode, just for the sake of the latest version costs a fortune.

It's so frustrating that we have to even think about buying "the right monitor" these days, it used to be simple back then. I really don't want to buy fancy display (or worse, two of them), bring it home, unbox it and find out it doesn't work with 3dsmax.

As for 3dsmax subscribtion policy it's on another freaking level, forget about it. People around the world complain about it all the time and they are right, but I think people are not treated equally. Think about an average American, Canadian or Brit and compare their salaries with people from eastern or central Europe. Different salaries, the same price tag (max..etc)

2019-10-08, 01:37:18
Reply #8

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It's so frustrating that we have to even think about buying "the right monitor" these days, it used to be simple back then. I really don't want to buy fancy display (or worse, two of them), bring it home, unbox it and find out it doesn't work with 3dsmax.

As for 3dsmax subscribtion policy it's on another freaking level, forget about it. People around the world complain about it all the time and they are right, but I think people are not treated equally. Think about an average American, Canadian or Brit and compare their salaries with people from eastern or central Europe. Different salaries, the same price tag (max..etc)

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Even for people with "normal" western European income, I find it a huge price...
For bigger design / architecture studios it´s okay...

2019-10-08, 11:11:24
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I will first clarify two types of possible issues:

- Performance. Mostly as lagging.
- Readability. Poor scaling, blurriness,..

Right now I use 32" 4K setup (x2 + vertical QHD 24"). 32" 4K is run at 125perc. Windows scaling. Here is how that works:

- Performance. No issues at all with 3dsMax. Corona framebuffer is laggy when it has massive render in it (8k+), but I am not sure what this is connected to. Could be fully unrelated.
- Readability. 2016 version doesn't scale to HiDPI like 2017+, but up to 125perc. it does just fine, with no artifacts and the readability on 32" is huge, because the DPI isn't extreme. 27" 4k/5k is lot more dense...that would troublesome with 2016.

What actually is problem, is multi-monitor setup. I am not sure if it's the second 32" display, or the vertical one which has different resolution throwing it off, but if I move part of 3dsMax onto second monitor, for example just Corona Framebuffer, and then click on some 3dsMax dropdown menu (for example to choose EditPoly modifier), it will open the dropdown menu on random place in space ! So I do have to use 3dsMax fully within Full-screen mode of single (middle monitor).

Here is what I know about later versions: They fixed scaling, but introduced some performance issues. Some of them are solvable by turning off Control Flow Guard in Windows (or just making exception for 3dsMax), some by not keeping 3dsMax open for too long (all day?) in single session,etc..

Anyway, 32" 4K right now is perfect fit and I know way too many studios using it like this with 2016. But when 32" 6k/8k will start to seep into common use, 2020+ will be the go to setup.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-10-08, 12:52:54
Reply #10

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
I have just bought a new 27" 4k display which should arrive today, I have never had a 4k display and didn't even think about 3dsmax issues...Hopefully it will be ok as I'm using 2019, I thought they fixed the higher resolution display problem years ago?

2019-10-08, 17:35:02
Reply #11

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I will first clarify two types of possible issues:

- Performance. Mostly as lagging.
- Readability. Poor scaling, blurriness,..

Right now I use 32" 4K setup (x2 + vertical QHD 24"). 32" 4K is run at 125perc. Windows scaling. Here is how that works:

- Performance. No issues at all with 3dsMax. Corona framebuffer is laggy when it has massive render in it (8k+), but I am not sure what this is connected to. Could be fully unrelated.
- Readability. 2016 version doesn't scale to HiDPI like 2017+, but up to 125perc. it does just fine, with no artifacts and the readability on 32" is huge, because the DPI isn't extreme. 27" 4k/5k is lot more dense...that would troublesome with 2016.

What actually is problem, is multi-monitor setup. I am not sure if it's the second 32" display, or the vertical one which has different resolution throwing it off, but if I move part of 3dsMax onto second monitor, for example just Corona Framebuffer, and then click on some 3dsMax dropdown menu (for example to choose EditPoly modifier), it will open the dropdown menu on random place in space ! So I do have to use 3dsMax fully within Full-screen mode of single (middle monitor).

Here is what I know about later versions: They fixed scaling, but introduced some performance issues. Some of them are solvable by turning off Control Flow Guard in Windows (or just making exception for 3dsMax), some by not keeping 3dsMax open for too long (all day?) in single session,etc..

Anyway, 32" 4K right now is perfect fit and I know way too many studios using it like this with 2016. But when 32" 6k/8k will start to seep into common use, 2020+ will be the go to setup.

I'll buy just one display for start and try if everything runs smoothly. As always your posts are exceptionally useful, thank you so much for that!

I have just bought a new 27" 4k display which should arrive today, I have never had a 4k display and didn't even think about 3dsmax issues...Hopefully it will be ok as I'm using 2019, I thought they fixed the higher resolution display problem years ago?

Let us know James.

2019-10-09, 13:31:05
Reply #12

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
No problems at all with Max 2019. I bought a 27" Benq designer monitor and its really nice, I would say maybe its worth going for a 32" as everything is very small which is going to take a while to get used to, that's more of a personal issue though as its my first 4k screen. I tried the windows scaling to 125% which works ok but makes the Max UI a bit blurry.

2019-11-06, 23:30:14
Reply #13

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Twoheads.
Did you end up buying a monitor? If so, which one and what's your experience with it and Max 2016?

Thanks.

2019-11-07, 01:02:01
Reply #14

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Twoheads.
Did you end up buying a monitor? If so, which one and what's your experience with it and Max 2016?

Thanks.

Hi Lupaz,

Not yet, still waiting for new threadrippers, but as I mentioned before I'll end up buying one 32" 4K for start and if it works I'll buy extra one.

TH