Author Topic: 3DS Max run as admin + drag and drop  (Read 5004 times)

2019-10-13, 13:53:04

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
I've just noticed that 3DS Max gives better viewport performance if I run it as administrator. Actually the same is happening with Autocad. But in this case drag and drop function doesn't work, so I can't simply drag and drop textures to the material editor or viewport from Windows explorer.
Do you know any way to make drag and drop work with Max (and Autocad) if it's been run as administrator and keeping UAC on?
« Last Edit: 2019-10-13, 13:58:10 by Bormax »

2019-10-14, 16:36:32
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I would love to know a solution to this myself.
My first random idea was to run explorer.exe as administrator, but I haven't tried it yet. There are some tutorials online, so maybe be worth trying.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-10-14, 17:54:31
Reply #2

Mohammadreza Mohseni

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
I would love to know a solution to this myself.
My first random idea was to run explorer.exe as administrator, but I haven't tried it yet. There are some tutorials online, so maybe be worth trying.

yes, Marcin, you are right. I have used this trick frequently and will work.
you just need to take ownership of a registry key and then rename it. after that, run as admin the explorer.exe .

2019-10-14, 18:49:13
Reply #3

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes, Marcin, you are right. I have used this trick frequently and will work.
you just need to take ownership of a registry key and then rename it. after that, run as admin the explorer.exe .

I've tried to run explorer.exe as admin, but it didn't help. This trick works with Total Commander, but I don't like how it looks. Actually it works with any image viewers as well and it's could be OK if we are talking about dragging textures to mat editor. But would be nicer to have this option using regular explorer to drag .max files to open/merg/xref them.
So could you, please, explain what did you mean by "take ownership of a registry key and then rename it"?

2019-10-14, 21:07:47
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
this is 99% windows issue. The real problem is that you have to run max as administrator for some reasons which should be fixable by autodesk, if it really helps...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-10-15, 19:01:04
Reply #5

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
this is 99% windows issue. The real problem is that you have to run max as administrator for some reasons which should be fixable by autodesk, if it really helps...

Yes, that's true. I've tried to contact Autodesk when I've noticed this issue with Autocad in 2015, but they didn't do anything to fix it.
Now I can see that Max 2016's and 2019's viewport performance is lower if it's run not as admin. Maybe it's because of some settings on my computers, IDK...
Could you guys write here if you have the same situation on your workstations?

2019-10-15, 19:50:36
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
How do you exactly compare performance in both modes? I might give it a try, but i'm rubbish at telling difference between good and OK perf.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-10-15, 20:17:08
Reply #7

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
How do you exactly compare performance in both modes? I might give it a try, but i'm rubbish at telling difference between good and OK perf.

It's clearly visible for me. Even if I start Max (normally) and empty start scene is loaded with grid "on" simple orbiting goes not smooth - with "steps". If I run Max as admin orbiting gets very smooth.
And it's really noticeable if the same scene opened in two Max instances which run differently - normally and as admin.
At the moment I have GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, it's good enough to work smoothly with pretty heavy scenes if they launched as administrator. But I had the same issue with my old video card

2019-10-15, 21:27:58
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I see. I have the same GPU, yet for me viewports runs very smooth in normal mode. I guess i don't have this issue *knocks on wood and walks away
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures