Author Topic: Rendering selected Object Gbuffer ID affected by region  (Read 4298 times)

2020-01-28, 16:04:30

grasshopper

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Previous post:  https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=27617.0
I am making this post in relation to a previous feature request that I made and found a work around for.
The bases of the request was to use an object in the scene as a render region using a gbuffer ID. The work around uses an object with a material set as transparent so in theory it should just render everything within it’s form. Great for patch rendering animated scenes with cameras and objects moving.

So I did some more testing and have an issue as the render behaves differently when rendering selected ID is set. The render takes long time and renders to a much lower than expected noise threshold.
All attached renders are set to 40 passes, and I would expect it to reach around 2-3% noise. The first render has render selected by Gbuffer ID and the ONLY difference in the second render is that I drew a region tight in around the rendered area. The third render is EXACTLY the same except the region covers the whole frame.

First Render (no region selected ID only)
render time -26 minutes
noise level - 0.96%

Second Render (with tight region)
render time -7 minutes
noise level - 2.63%

Third Render (with full frame region)
render time -26 minutes
noise level - 0.96%

The second image is how I would of expected the first image to also render. In fact I would of expected all 3 to render the same!
Although there is a time saving in set up time it leaves relatively little point in using gbuffer instead of rendering many regions.

I would expect a whole frame to render in about 45 minutes. We have had similar experiences with render time in the past using Obj ID (never been trying it with a transparent object before) but never really investigated it any further other than rendering to a noise threshold which for animation we found flickery.
Why would a region bigger that the object effect the render so much and Is this an expected behaviour? Has anyone else experience similar? and most importantly is there a solution (other than regions)
Thanks for your time.

2020-01-28, 17:10:10
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So you are rendering with:
- a pass limit
- "render selected" used and set to gbuffer ID
- region on/off

--- internal notes ---
Waiting for more info, and will log this case then.
Here are some similar things:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=11074.0
id=257367101 <--- cancelled
id=251256407 <--- active
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-01-28, 17:23:13
Reply #2

grasshopper

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thats all correct Maru, thanks for looking into it.

I don't want to use a region but completely by accident noticed the difference it makes.

2020-01-28, 17:27:27
Reply #3

grasshopper

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just read the post you linked to and it describes exactly the same behaviour.

Glad it's not just me. A fix would be awesome :)

2020-07-22, 08:59:51
Reply #4

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Fixed in v6 DB 2020-07-21
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!