Author Topic: Corona and UE4 Datasmith  (Read 346 times)

2020-03-25, 10:53:37

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has anyone had some decent success with datasmith from corona into UE4?
All the tutorials for datasmith seem to yield a lot nicer results from Vray than corona out of the box. Especially with regards to lighting.

2020-03-25, 15:49:00
Reply #1

GeorgeK

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • George
    • View Profile
All the tutorials for datasmith seem to yield a lot nicer results from Vray than corona out of the box. Especially with regards to lighting.

Personally I've never been able to utilize datasmith properly for both renderers. But my scenes were not lightmap-bake friendly either, a lot of heavy organic elements with questionable normals.

Lighting wise, I've been always using quite high-resolution HDRI's along with dynamic lights, almost everything would be edited to reach the point we were happy with the outcome. Quality-wise (afaik) you won't get far without editing .ini settings, but it also depends  on scene and mood.
“Every artist was first an amateur”

2020-03-25, 17:35:22
Reply #2

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Personally I've never been able to utilize datasmith properly for both renderers. But my scenes were not lightmap-bake friendly either, a lot of heavy organic elements with questionable normals.

Lighting wise, I've been always using quite high-resolution HDRI's along with dynamic lights, almost everything would be edited to reach the point we were happy with the outcome. Quality-wise (afaik) you won't get far without editing .ini settings, but it also depends  on scene and mood.

Ok I'm spending the next few days experimenting with it anyhow as we mainly do interiors. I found a fantastic lightmap unwrap script that processed my whole scene which worked well. I put in a request earlier as it would be great to see corona integrated with unreal like Vray, Octane and redshift have.

2020-03-26, 09:06:25
Reply #3

NicolasC

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I found a fantastic lightmap unwrap script that processed my whole scene which worked well. I put in a request earlier as it would be great to see corona integrated with unreal like Vray, Octane and redshift have.
Hello,
I'm very interested in this subject, would you please share this lightmap unwrap script, please ?
Also, I second the need of best compatibility possible of Corona with DataSmith ... or is it the other way around ? :P

Cheers.
Nicolas Caplat

3dsmax & Corona teacher / CG supervisor

2020-03-26, 13:36:42
Reply #4

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hello,
I'm very interested in this subject, would you please share this lightmap unwrap script, please ?
Also, I second the need of best compatibility possible of Corona with DataSmith ... or is it the other way around ? :P

Cheers.

Yeah sure

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/v-ray-for-unreal-forums/v-ray-for-unreal-general/1025402-batch-auto-unwrapper-3dsmax-script?fbclid=IwAR3cdktUNfghCeCg6nQsLCOIsBUS-3YwcHEH-C6i7-uqBddWVVfbW6Fpef4

Its a great little script with some fantastic little UI animations to let you know its still working. Has good feedback in the max window too. It took a couple of hours on a semi-complex interior scene and there were some overlapping issues still but as a start its great.

I think the best possible solution would be a corona version for Unreal like Vray. Because you almost get a like for like scene and more often I'm seeing that final renders are not the end of the production.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-26, 17:38:13 by Jpjapers »

2020-03-26, 16:32:11
Reply #5

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
I second that, Unreal is here to stay and like it or not, its got to part of the tools we use these days.
Dell Precision T7910

2020-03-26, 17:29:51
Reply #6

NicolasC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you Jpjapers :)
Nicolas Caplat

3dsmax & Corona teacher / CG supervisor