Author Topic: Layered material with droplets layer  (Read 460 times)

2020-05-29, 11:52:54

cgiout

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi.
I need to add to a layered carpaint material an additional layer of water droplets.
Water droplets are obtained by the use of a displacement map.
For what i know displacement is not rendered if used on a material layer but only on the base material.
The workaround to use mix maps doesn't work because displacement must be transparent as water, so what's the workaround for this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Bests
Raf

2020-05-29, 12:01:12
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Because of transparency/refraction you can't expect this to work on single mesh and/or material. The solution would be to use duplicated mesh - one with regular surface material and another with transparent water material. I tried this setup here: https://corona-renderer.com/forum/index.php?topic=2466.msg158657#msg158657 and it works pretty well, but in the end i prefer scattered mesh droplets.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-05-29, 14:26:48
Reply #2

cgiout

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, i'm trying the mesh duplication way.
Do you think that displacement in layered material will be supported some day?

Raffaele

2020-05-29, 14:56:00
Reply #3

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. The "problem" with displacement in layered materials doesn't have anything to do with the "droplet-issue". The displacement of the mesh will be the same regardless of what layer it's placed in. As long as there's only one mesh, you'll have a hole behind the displaced droplet, and since water is transparent this will be visible.

You can use the displacement method with non-transparent stuff like paint or dirt, but not with transparent stuff like water.

Hope it helps

2020-05-30, 13:43:47
Reply #4

cgiout

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. The "problem" with displacement in layered materials doesn't have anything to do with the "droplet-issue". The displacement of the mesh will be the same regardless of what layer it's placed in. As long as there's only one mesh, you'll have a hole behind the displaced droplet, and since water is transparent this will be visible.

You can use the displacement method with non-transparent stuff like paint or dirt, but not with transparent stuff like water.

Hope it helps
Thank you, i understand.

Tried with the duplicated maeh method and it worked.