Author Topic: Texture sizes - power of 2 good practice?  (Read 2755 times)

2020-06-04, 12:28:49

Twibbz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I used to come from a more of a video game dev background where game engines are limited to the power of 2 textures.
I have a lot of textures that i have used that do no adhere to this. Say for instance a long wood veneer texture which would be 800 x 3000 pixels
I know this isn't a limitation here but i was wondering if it was still good practice to do so or to at least keep the imagery/textures square.

Thanks,

2020-06-04, 12:33:42
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Having your textures at resolution of power of 2 will never hurt, but as long as your scene is fitting to RAM, there's nothing to worry about. I don't think you can gain render time from different resolution of textures.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-06-04, 14:59:28
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
There is actually an improvement with non-power of two textures in Corona 6. I will be right back with an explanation what exactly has changed and what benefits it brings.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-06-04, 15:19:30
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
So in V5, the non-power of two textures could eat up slightly more RAM (the exact numbers are dependent on the resolution, bit depth, etc). In V6 we have lowered the memory usage for them up to about ~40% in extreme cases.

2020-06-04, 15:27:10
Reply #4

Twibbz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies,
so am I right in saying to use power of 2 or squared textures if readily available (I find them easier to work with in max and in general)  but otherwise using textures with different pixels height and width (such is the case with my veneers) wont really impact any performance providing allocated ram is sufficient

2020-06-04, 17:31:13
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies,
so am I right in saying to use power of 2 or squared textures if readily available (I find them easier to work with in max and in general)  but otherwise using textures with different pixels height and width (such is the case with my veneers) wont really impact any performance providing allocated ram is sufficient
Yep, sounds right.

2020-06-05, 23:48:26
Reply #6

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
File format also impact to RAM, JPG most optimized for that, according autodesk recommendation

2020-06-06, 09:53:52
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@sprayer, didn't we discussed this already? Texture format does not have impact on RAM consumption: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=22406.msg137900#msg137900 Please stop spreading misinformation.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures