Author Topic: Shen Hao 4x5  (Read 5722 times)

2015-02-27, 14:48:26

blackbucket

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • blackbucket
Once again another spare-time project. It was done over a period of 1 ½ months with interruptions for day-to-day business.
The model is based on a Shen Hao 4×5 inch large format camera and was built entirely in 3ds Max using images from the web and the original size of the ground glass focusing screen as references.
Maybe there will be a making-of some time. ;-)
Texturing and rendering was done in Corona a7.2 / 1.0 and all images (2000px / in-camera DOF / 170 passes) were batch-rendered on a single i7 3,3GHz overnight.

2015-02-27, 19:23:36
Reply #1

marioteodoru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great details and great texture!

I always wander if u can use a modeled camera to take a picture with it. I mean, effectively use the modeled lenses to look at a scene and render trough that view. Is it possible? Does it make sense? To model the lenses a bit imperfect, with some dust and chromatic abberation....it could make a nice effect ?

2015-02-27, 22:43:01
Reply #2

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it definitely would be the new "level" of creating visualisations, innovative approach to say ;)

2015-02-27, 22:46:10
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile

I always wander if u can use a modeled camera to take a picture with it. I mean, effectively use the modeled lenses to look at a scene and render trough that view. Is it possible? Does it make sense? To model the lenses a bit imperfect, with some dust and chromatic abberation....it could make a nice effect ?

that was already done in corona ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-02-27, 22:46:49
Reply #4

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks

2015-02-27, 22:48:41
Reply #5

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile

that was already done in corona ;)

well now you know exactly what should be implemented first in next build ;)

2015-02-28, 11:51:23
Reply #6

marioteodoru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's cool keymaster.

So, taking in consideration this is all virtual, is there any difference between the corona camera and a approach trough a modeled lens?
I mean, doesn't the actual software camera interpret the light like a glass lens? If not,  is it possible to make more "interesting" images with a approach like this?

i'm a photographer, and i'm always interested in making artistic images. Usually i use plugins to enrich the raw render, but could this technique actually produce more "interesting" images, with more atmosphere?

2015-02-28, 13:49:29
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
it was done here:

https://corona-renderer.com/homepage/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Kawasaki-Wide-Angle-Lens-System-Damjan-Minovski.jpg

The Corona camera model is somewhat simplified - it simulates ideal camera, with no abberation, barrel distortion, etc. When modelling your own lens, you can simulate anything you want. But it has 2 major drawbacks - the model of lenses has to be EXTREMELY precise, and it is VERY slow.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)