Author Topic: perfomance on not fresh workstation CPU  (Read 3700 times)

2015-03-31, 01:17:49

andrewkuli

• Users
    • View Profile
 Hello All,
I would like to know will corona and 3ds max work with system like this:

2 x Intel Xeon W3520 2.667 Ghz clocked to 4 Ghz
motherboard ASUS Z8PH-D12/IFB
2x 8 Gb DDR3 RDIM 1600Mhz
AMD HD 6970
SSD 256 Gb
I can see at ASUS site motherboard support win7 64 bit. so looks like both CPU will work summary it will give 8 cores in 16 treads with 4 Ghz clocked. Maybe with time I'll add more RAM. up to 32
if this will work, what performance I can expect from this machine?

Will it be faster then one Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition

Thank you in advance,
Andrew.

2015-03-31, 02:08:02
Reply #1

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Is this something you are trying to build ?

W3520 is "rebranded" i7 920 (both the same CPU actually, from 2009 ), regular workstation CPU, it can't be run in dual configurations.
Dual socket 1366 (like your Asus board) only support X5xxx/W5xxx/L5xxx series.
Single W3520/i7 920 overclocked to 4GHz is roughly as powerful (in rendering only) as slighly less old i7 2600 with no overclock {Cinebench 11.5 <7points; Passmark <7000 (clocked 4Ghz) }. It's old, and very weak CPU.

Of coure, it's possible to run Corona on it without any issues. But there is no reason to try to build workstation like this.

(we have HW section here, mods will move your thread)
talcikdemovicova.com  Website and blog
be.net/jurajtalcik   Our studio Behance portfolio
Instagram   Our studio Instagram, managed by Veronika

2015-03-31, 12:21:54
Reply #2

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi,

no problem.

My argument against was purely technocratic. Since it's technically not possible to build 2P with it, and even for the prices of used components here, they're too old to give relative comparative performance.
And than again, 1366 models will not server you for long, esp. with 4Ghz overclock, they will probably finish their lifetime in year or two since you will buy it.

Regarding Xeon W5580, yes that is possible. It can't be overclocked, so you can take directly the 3.2Ghz Passmark score, which is 4760. Benchmarks can be found on http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ . It's very reliable and transfers well to rendering speed.
So the 2P performance will roughly double (or 90+ perc.), so we can count roughly 9000. Modern middle class Haswell CPU like i7 4790 has score of 10 000 non-clocked, and can be clocked additional 30perc. very easily, so it would give you about 50perc. more speed in rendering, and about 150perc. more in single-threaded tasks (modeling, viewport, photoshop,etc...)

I understand your bad country situation and I offer a lot of sympathy for your side of your conflict. I can wish you that it will be better, but I don't really believe it sadly.
I don't come from particularly rich country either and I don't have wealthy background behind me. Solution for my career was to always work outside, 70perc. of my clients don't even know where I am from, and if they do, they don't know where it is.

We do have a benchmark thread in general section, but it's bit outdated (Based on old Alpha4 core, 2+ years old), so it's not very reliable if you want to compare Xeon processor. But for general i7 and such, it's good.

Older HW often seems like great deal, but the performance increase, even though very little in last 3 generations (Starting with SandyBridge), is quite big when you compared it to Nehalem based gen (like the Nehalem-Bloomfield i7 9xx/W5580/etc..).
But the price often isn't that lower and is quite proportional to what they perfom at. So even if you're able to buy such machine for 300 euro, a modern Haswell one for 600 euro will be twice as fast (even i5).

When the budget is little, I suggest to buy low-middle class but recent CPUs. i7 4770k/4790k, 16GB of ram, 550W 80+ Bronze PSU,etc... something relatively cheap (<900 euro), but still much better than old 1366 CPUs.
With computers, it's rarely possible to get the benefit you get like with old cars.

2015-03-31, 16:57:37
Reply #3

andrewkuli

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello,
Thanks for reply and going deep in analysis what is best choice.
I can get the Xeon W5580 for 25 Euro per one CPU, I also can get the board for ~ 100 and 16 Gb per 100 euro. If I will find board which support desktop DDR3 memory then it will be free of charge for me I already have it. all the rest things i have.
so it could cost me for a 150 - 250 Euro.
I just thinking from one point - performance per Euro...
on other hand, thing which is stopping me from start to build such machine is life cycle of components... simple mortal users use they PC not in 24/7 way, but components like Xeon and boards for them commonly used in 24/7, so it could cause me a problem, that they already worn out.
From other side with price of one system with based on new I7 which is not cheap, I can build a 2-3 machines and use them in merge rendering:)
And it's easy start at beginning only with one machine and then go for more if needed.
Hard to make a choice.

Regards,
Andrew.

2015-03-31, 17:35:52
Reply #4

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I'll write you a more cost-oriented analysis.

It should be possible to make pretty close +/- for each solution taking into account performance/cost ratio for both single and multithreaded parts, expected parts longevity,etc.

2015-03-31, 17:56:29
Reply #5

andrewkuli

• Users
    • View Profile
 Thanks in advance,
Year ago or a bit more I reed about the Xeon-Phi acceleration units, so I do not remember details.
I'm do not know does any kind of windows support it at all. If yes, in future Corona will support such hardware?
If yes, then no PC is enough is some basic APU and motherboard with 4 PCI E x 16 slots.
On some online shopes it Xeon Phi could be found  -  http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BC31S1P-Xeon-31S1P-Coprocessor/dp/B00OMCB4JI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1427816923&sr=1-1&keywords=Xeon+Phi

57 cores(they are not classic x86 cores) with 1.1 Ghz is interesting thing:) on board memory is 8 Gb... could be more for a more money.

this thing is interesting, because of scaling with adding just one card you at at least 57 cores.

2015-03-31, 17:57:26
Reply #6

andrewkuli

• Users
    • View Profile
sorry for a totally different topic...

2015-03-31, 18:02:17
Reply #7

Juraj Talcik

• Active Users
  • Tinkering away
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Possibly with some next-gen (3rd iteration), because even the current gen isn't particularly great performer comparing to some of the newest GPUs. Of course, Phi is more close to regular x86 architecture, but only so-so.
Ondra had previously mentioned that perhaps, but it's not on today's plan.

Vlado from ChaosGroup did a bunch of tests on Vray but they weren't much convinced, saying it was pretty hard to create the build for it, and in the end, provided performance that equaled dual Xeon setup.

You're also linking to lowest model of first gen, the current generation ones with usable memory (6gb, it's not that much) cost about 1500 euros a unit.